No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

arlean

Registered
Our gas has been off for three days. Today I asked the portero when we would have gas in the building. To my absolute amazement he said in three months. Three MONTHS??!!! The pipes are being repaired, he said. I live in Palermo a block (more of less) from Alto Palermo.

This means no stove for cooking or even heating water, no hot water in the shower or the kitchen, no heat (normally they put the radiators on for about an hour at night and an hour in the morning when everyone is getting ready for work.

I sure have some war stories to tell about my life in Buenos Aires. No Internet for 3 months and now no gas for 3 months. What could be next? My friend had no power once for four days. I hope I don't have 3 months of no power to look forward to next. It wouldn't surprise me.

Damn, I was complaining because my internet was out for three days.

A similar thing happened in my building a few years ago. "Somebody complained" and there was an inspection which caused them to shut off gas to everyone in the building. They only shut of individual meters, not the main line to the building. But,, each apartment had to be inspected and those that weren't "up to code" had to be in order to restore service. This caused a lot of people to have to replace all the gas lines in their apartment.

I still say there was an unpaid bribe that was the cause of it all. My building is not that old and is relatively well-kept.

I went through that years ago and it sucks, but then again I am so fearful of gas leaks and accidents, that I don´t complain. Have you read about that building that blew out in Rosario a month or so ago with over 20+ dead? At least days are going to get warmer and you can always use intensively the microwave... as for the showers, well, that is what really sucks :p

Sadly, my first reaction is that someone didn't ask the right person if there wasn't a way to do this quicker (money in the right palm).

What really surprises me is that your building adminstration didn't say anything? Are you the owner? We get notification of advance works, and where money is required a vote is taken and we go ahead.

I wouldn't be paying any expenses for 3 months if I didn't have gas, no way.

Back