No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

I'm thinking Ghost is right. I think that when I return from Chile it will be time to move--unless I have gas on my return. I LOVE my neighborhood and I really don't want to do that BUT . . . . my new DNI was supposed to come in two months and it was more than four. My passport was supposed to come this week and it's Friday. We shall see if it makes it today. .
The most scary thing in Argentina is when "they" fix something.

I am laughing at some of the things you've seen here. I remember the first time I saw an open hole in the sidewalk that looked like the bottom was an entire floor below, and someone had stuck a tree limb in the hole so no one would accidentally fall into it. I'm still laughing. In the country I came from someone would come along and not only manage to fall in, but successfully sue for a zillion dollars. Same with the sidewalks here. A business would never DARE allow such treacherous sidewalks in front of their store. They could lose their home, their business, their savings--everything. But know what? Now don't laugh! I LIKE it the way it is here. It says freedom to me. People should try to protect the public just out of human caring, but still I like that I am expected to have sense enough not to kill myself on the broken sidewalks when it is obvious that they are broken.

Been ther, done that. Took a good 7 months to get reconnected. The building is old and they had to install these mandatory vents in all the proper places before it could pass inspection.

I would not pay expensas and pay half of the rent. Wouid also join a gym that has SPA. And buy a hot plate and electric coffee water heater

Been ther, done that. Took a good 7 months to get reconnected. The building is old and they had to install these mandatory vents in all the proper places before it could pass inspection.
Same here, 4 months to get the gas back on over Christmas! My lovely bosses let me use the work kitchen to cook my Christmas dinner on, which had the added benefit of properly cooked roast vegetables in an electric oven and I didn't overheat my apartment in the 35 degree heat when it happened. Our building has 81 apartments and every one had to have vents installed, plus security valves installed on the stoves. I'm glad it happened over summer, though, not much use for hot water or hot meals in that heat. Good luck with yours, hope they meet the 3 month target.

For the past year I had noticed a faint odor of gas near our building's entrance. Someone reported this last year, and the inspectors shut off the gas to the building in early February. After that we took cold showers and cooked in the microwave or electric hot plate until all of the apartments were inspected and made repairs. We finally got our gas turned on again in May. The building was built in the mid 80's, when the builder could pay a coima to the inspectors, and the work was poorly done. If you can tolerate a few months without gas, maybe buy an electric calefon, things will be safer in the long run.

Even if they have to put in all new gas lines, and venting on gas appliances why does it take months? I've had similar work done on a smaller scale in my house and it takes days not months. In a building you could do the same work with a team on each floor and be done in a week I'd guess even if you had to change all the gas lines in the entire building.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine - I think it was over 3 months actually. Luckily during the summer and yes he showered at the gym every day.

Not the owner's fault but still, it is no way to live. I don't find things like that charming, I find them downright infuriating.

Also happened about 4 or 5 years ago in my husband's building. That was pre-wedding and I remember thinking "Thank goodness we don't live together!" It was definitely 3 months. Sounds like it's the standard. There is not a good answer as to WHY oh WHY these things take so long. Anyone take the D from Facultad de Medicina going downtown? Can you explain to me why it has taken them months, at least 2, to put in what I can only see are some sort of drainage grates at the bottom of the stairs? But if you ask yourself why it will only drive you mad. You can't change it. Just make sure you never adopt the "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude.

Cold showers are good for your skin, and a faster way to wake up than coffee :)

3 MONTHS????

Back