Noise Bylaws?

duanestorey

Registered
Stupid question, but are there any sorts of noise bylaws in Buenos Aires? The place that I'm renting has a suite underneath me, and they've been renovating it. But it's constant, loud noise, going on 14 to 16 hours a day. I've emailed my landlord about it, but he's completely ignored my complaints. Any chance there are restrictions for how late/early he can do work?

Thanks.

I guess you are in Capital Federal, then you can call the Municipalidad at 147 anytime to make a complain, or call the nearest police station. If it doesnt stop, contact the administracion and ask them to send a carta documento to the apartment from where the noise is coming. If it doesnt work, contact again the Municipalidad, asking for the Ombudsman office, they will tell you which papers you will need to bring to go to a mediation. The Municipalidad and Administracion should be able to tell you about the allowed time to make noise in a building. Also the Reglamento de Copropiedad may be explicit on the subject that is bothering you.

It's not a stupid question.

What time do they start and what time do they finish?

Good luck with this issue. From my experience, if there are by laws or rules on noise, there is a reluctance of most Argentines to follow them or enforce them. I have found the many Argentines are very tolerant of those who have little consideration of others.

Call the nearest police station. Try to get a written report from the police.

duanestorey said:
They started at 7am this morning, and they are still going right now (7:49pm)

I can only say that the portero in my building (in Recoleta) would never have accepted this.

The apartment just below mine was gutted and redone in 2007. They never started before 9 AM and never worked past 6 PM.

It wasn't pleasant but I knew it was just life in the city.

I don't accept it either, but what can I do? I'm only here another week, so I probably will just put up with it. But I feel a bit taken advantage of since it must be obvious how loud an annoying it is. Even an apology about the noise would make me feel better.

duanestorey said:
Even an apology about the noise would make me feel better.

I'm truly sorry you have to deal with the construction noise.

Back