Noise Bylaws?

A year or so after the construction in the apartment below me was finished, the heir of the recently deceased owner of the apartment in the building next door (same floor as mine) started renovations.

The workers observed the "acceptable" working hours so I had nothing to complain about.

After the young punk (aka heir) moved in he started playing loud music late at night. I could only hear the (most irritating) pounding bass. Instead of complaining, I simply went down to the front door and presses the buzzer for his apartment at 2 AM.

When he answered I whispered "silencio, por favor" (twice) into the intercom.

I'll never know why that was so effective, but it worked.

steveinbsas said:
I'll never know why that was so effective, but it worked.

Good tip.

*goes to work on my hannibal lecter voice*

Fuyi said:
Good tip.

*goes to work on my hannibal lecter voice*

Haha!

In a previous life (LA in the 80's) I spoke with AH.

Perhaps it was just osmosis (certainly a lot cheaper than acting classes).

The people working next door go from 9am to maybe 5pm. Noise seems to be accepted up to at least 10pm, some sort of party on last night.

I'd like to know what's accepted.

The banging drives me mad but since it's during the day when you'd normally be at work I put wax earplugs in you get from the pharmacy.

I just checked out from the apartment today. The landlord actually got me a little mate set as a present for all the noise. So, everything is now right again in the universe.

when we lived in an apartment the siesta time was respected by workers.if I remember correctly it was from 2-4.30 pm

As far as I understand, having had construction work happening next door to me for almost 1 year, they cannot legally start before 8am. If they do you can file a denuncia against them and having the building site closed down.

duanestorey said:
Stupid question, but are there any sorts of noise bylaws in Buenos Aires? The place that I'm renting has a suite underneath me, and they've been renovating it. But it's constant, loud noise, going on 14 to 16 hours a day. I've emailed my landlord about it, but he's completely ignored my complaints. Any chance there are restrictions for how late/early he can do work?

Thanks.

Seeing it from the bright side, the longer they work, the sooner they'll finish. Probably long before your denuncia gets anywhere.

My business is music-related and I've been on the disturbing side for years. I hate disturbing people, but in this f***ing town with all its buildings in full contact with one another a real effective solution is almost impossible and always very expensive. I've always been able to agree a truce with everyone because they see I respect their complaints and do everything in my power to reduce the problem. My point is, direct but civilized engagement is the best method. Authorities won't do jack. I had all kind of formal complaints issued against me and none could stop me. Police have more important things to do, and they can't stop the activities for a while but after a few calls they'll forward the issue to the Fiscal of your area, who will take no more action than sending a warning notice that will most likely be ignored.

Do like Steve and talk to the guys. Hablando se entiende la gente.

Back