Now Police Can Ask You For The Dni You Don't Have

Ok, thanks for clarifying that you agree with political prosecution.

FYI in a free country your religion, sex preferences and politicial believes are your busisness. We have "something" called art. 19 of the National Constitution that says so.

The issue with Macri is that he is reactionary to the Saenz Peña law that granded vote rights to all the citizens (men in those days).
During the Law 140, when a party won, all the public jobs were for the winner. Macri is trying to do that even this is abolished.

helloooooooooo00000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111!!!
Where did i say i agree with political prosecution?
:rolleyes:

Until then though, this thread is just a bunch of non oppressed, white people worrying about little non white people like me who apparently need to be pitied and protected since we are so incapable of watching out for ourselves.

This maybe one of the dumbest comments I've read on BAXpats. Also, didn't you grow up in Saudia Arabia? That certainly makes you qualified to discuss oppression, but hardly means you are in the same position as Bolivians, Paraguayans, and Peruvian.

Now, if you visit the US, that is another story.

Damn, I get really worried when I agree with Bajo. I can conceive of zero reasons why the police of any free country should be able to ask someone for an ID when they are not doing anything that is against the law or suspicious of being doing something illegal.

Of course, there may be other signs of oppression, like when a president either decrees or causes through connections to be made law, to prevent its citizens from buying foreign currency unless they can prove they were paying enough taxes to warrant buying said currency. I could probably think of a couple of other examples but that one is a pretty huge one for me. Bajo, I'm sure you'll tell us why that is not oppression, but the consequences could have been much heftier for some people than merely having your ID checked.

However, I still am with Bajo on the ability to of police to demand IDs for no cause, although I would call it possibly oppressive, depending on what they actually do with their new-found ability.

If I missed something in the previous posts that negates what I'm saying, pardon me - I've been away for a few days and couldn't read all the posts before making a comment about the OP.

Damn, I get really worried when I agree with Bajo. I can conceive of zero reasons why the police of any free country should be able to ask someone for an ID when they are not doing anything that is against the law or suspicious of being doing something illegal...

... However, I still am with Bajo on the ability to of police to demand IDs for no cause, although I would call it possibly oppressive, depending on what they actually do with their new-found ability.
Yeah, I feel the same. ID checking without probable cause makes me very uncomfortable philosophically - individuals should be free of government surveillance unless there are good. legal, reasons to have to identify themselves.

That's the philosophical side. Practically it isn't really a big deal as long as the random ID checks don't result in oppressive police action. So in this case we'll have to wait and see, but I, too, find myself in the unusual position of siding with Bajo - without his predictable, end-of-the-world, predictions of massive overreaching by the police. If he's right, I'll apologize.

I would be amazed if the Argentinian police enforced no smoking areas or even really started to fight crime. You think these guys with 3 months of training are really going to be scoping IDs not to mention they are already so understaffed and so under paid you think they want to chase IDs I think not. And the fact is 2 times I was asked for ID in Argentina once was in 2008. Having been a body builder all my life (not bragging) walked past the bank one day while the armed guys where putting more cash in ATMS. One of the guards looked at me the monster jacked pumped gringo and freaked out for no reason.

Me and some friends sat down for a cafe about a 100 meters from the bank. All the armed money guard guys backed into the truck pointing their weapons at me. 3 minutes later 8 police men were at my table questioning me and asked for my ID. I slowly took off my sun glasses and provided them with my ID. They asked what are you doing here, I answered with the truth they looked at my ID while one lifted my arm and squeezed it laughing about about the size of my arms etc. Next they start telling me the jokers in the truck though I might have some intention to rob the bank or them and that they were scared or me.

After a brief explanation about what sort of work I do and that my wife is Argentinian and I am sorry it was not my intention to scare anyone the senior officer said he was sorry if he scared me and invited to me to launch after which we became friends.

Back