On American food in BsAs

16. SMOOTHIES, UN LICUADO EN INGLES
Nadie sabe qué es exactamente un smoothie (algunos ni siquiera saben cómo pronunciarlo), pero lo que está claro es que esta bebida que nació en EE.UU. en los años ’60 y se puso de moda en los ‘90 (cuando comenzaron a venderla embotellada), hoy aparece más y más en Buenos Aires. Se trata, básicamente de un licuado, pero su definición es amplia y permite todo tipo de manoseos. Por ejemplo en Smoothie Bar (Juramento 2455, Belgrano) los preparan mezclando jugo, fruta fresca y yogur helado. Otro propulsor de esta bebida es la cadena de heladerías Chungo, donde los preparan a base de frutas congeladas y jugos, y agregan nuevos sabores cada temporada. En otros locales, como Pura Vida, los venden como smoothies, pero son simples licuados. Si querés estar a la moda, pedite un smoothie. Si querés probar algo diferente, primero preguntá cómo lo preparan.

This one closed down and kind of a pity but with the product and price was ok

I am amused that they consider Tony Roma's a prototypical "Steak House"- its a low-middle casual dining place that specializes in ribs- the Olive Garden of the rib world. And most of their other "facts" are equally off base.

There is definitely an influence from NorteAmericana on Porteno cooking lately, but I would put it less in the realm of fast food, most of which is not that different from the fast food that is here- and more in the realm of GOOD food, places like Casa Felix could not exist without Alice Waters.

The global travellers are demanding that Argentina ups the ante in terms of quality and imagination in food, and a bunch of places are stepping up and trying- and, to me, thats the most noticeable, and best, influence from the north.

A super pancho is a super pancho, the world around.

Please, please tell me where the good food a la Alice Waters is. Finding a good, healthy meal here remains elusive for us.

Ries said:
I am amused that they consider Tony Roma's a prototypical "Steak House"- its a low-middle casual dining place that specializes in ribs- the Olive Garden of the rib world.
Isn't Tony Roma's in food courts in malls too? I haven't been back to the States in quite a while, but my memory seems to think so.

I was frankly surprised the first time I walked into a Kansas here. It was a new one built just a few kilometers south of Pilar a few years ago. The place had valet parking. I felt self-concious driving up in my old 1999 Renault Megane hatch-back (hey, I had to pay cash for it and I'm not rich! :)).

When we went in, my first thought was "Elegant Dennys." Part of it was the decor, which felt like the lobby of an upscale Holiday Inn. Lots of Ikea-style fakewood paneling and such, very short cropped carpeting, easy to clean, some ferns and broad-leafed plants in planters (don't think they were real, but it's been awhile since I was last there). Don't get me wrong, it was quite nice overall. But a new Dennys has that same sort of feel.

I'd heard about this being the place to eat, lots of famous people go to Kansas (at least the one in town, on Libertador, to which I've never been - maybe it's different?) and have a good American-style steak meal, etc. I know friends of my sister-in-law who have actually lied about having eaten there and been caught out, because it's such a big deal to the kids my sister-in-law goes to school with. (I took my sister-in-law and a friend of hers to Hard Rock the other day. Her friend is Peruana who lives with her aunt and uncle and has been here for 12 years. They live in a nice apartment on Libertador, they're middle class - it was her friend's first time to Hard Rock and she was fascinated.)

The food was average, but it was nice to have an occasional average US-style meal every once in awhile. I used to like Bennigan's sometimes and the meal reminded me very much of that.

But when I think of a steak house, I think of a place in Houston that was a little hole in the wall (can't remember the name) but served the biggest T-Bone I'd ever seen in my life - it came on a wooden cutting board with an Outback-style cutting knife. Or Perry's, where they had the absolutely most delicious mesquite-grilled ribeyes and the best prime rib I'd ever had in my life, and a fried asperagus dish with a very light creamy spicy sauce that was to die for. Of course, you only went there for special occasions (as seems like Kansas is to at least some people here) and the bill for each person 8 years ago (the last time I was there) was around $120. Or Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Not Tony Roma.

Internationally, Tony Roma has a bit more CACHÉ than it does in the US, this tends to be the case with many places in the States that we'd brush off as ¨typical every day joints¨ The Tony Romas in Madrid for example is quite expensive by local standards, gets packed to the point of needing reservations, and lots of famous people go there as it's sort of an event, similiar to how Kansas is here.

Casa Felix is amazing. http://www.colectivofelix.com/
Trenta Sillas is pretty good too. http://www.treintasillas.com/

of course, neither of them is Alice Waters, but they, and lots of other young chefs, are trying harder now, and are aware of what is going on elsewhere.

I think Cafe San Juan, and Caseros, both in San Telmo, are pretty good as well. I have had excellent meals at both.

I have eaten at Chez Panisse, and "healthy" is not the first word that would come to me to describe it. Locally sourced, excellent ingredients cooked impeccably, high priced and very good- but certainly including things that contain fat, sugar, meat, and other guilty pleasures.

On her menu for this week, for example, are deep fried fritters, crab cakes, rack of lamb, squab, pastas, sirloins, and a lot of other foods that are not, intrinsically, healthy. There is no reason a really good chef could not cook similarly in BsAs, and a few are starting to.

Remember, too, that this weeks roasted duck fixed price meal at Chez Panisse is around $300 pesos, without drinks, tax, or tip. Figure $500, easy, if you have only one drink or a really cheap bottle of wine, more if you are extravagant about drinks.

Reactions: jb5
Back