Opening A Bank Account By A Non-Resident Tourist

How long ago did you guys open accounts?
My first account was opened through my work in November 2011 with a passport, however I thought now you required a DNI (well this is what I was told at Santander Rio). I could be wrong and am only going by what I was told, but has any1 opened an account in the last 12 months or so without a DNI?

By the way, to the OP do you have a DNI (para extranjeros) ie are you at least a temporary resident? I am pretty sure with a DNI para extranjeros you can open one in any case.

I have no DNI. I may have a CDI - I think, but am not sure, I obtained one with the help of A finance guy when I bought my apt in BA. I had an account for a short while which I used to pay my utility, Cable tv , bills, but the bank required me to close it.

I think there's so much confusion with this topic because the rules are constantly changing! Three years ago I was able to get a Caja de Ahorros with owning an apartment and CDi and CUIT number. Two years ago I was able to open a checking account and get credit cards because I had my first year DNI. But just when you think you're ahead....on my last trip to the bank my banker said "you have your permanent residency right?"...innocently and honestly I responded that I was finishing my second year of the residency process and had the second year DNI( the new DNIs that have "Extranjero" stamped conspicuously on them). She said (embarrassed at having to break the news) "yeah well now you're supposed to be a "PERMANENT" resident to have these accounts (that I already have!)--meaning have finished the 3year DNI pre residency proces ! What happened to the "now you will have all the rights of the Argentines" including rights to bank accounts and work that my lawyer insisted came with the DNI? I suspect they've gone the route of being able to freely buy ones foreign currency..out the (tellers) window! Nonetheless being the sweetie that she is she took my DNI along with some papers (and a bottle of white-out?) and after copying some stuff handed my DNi back with a smile and said it was taken care of....so my take away is that they've tightened the noose further but obviously the banks don't want to have to start revoking valued customers accounts and credit cards so..just hope she's still there next year!

Info on opening Caja de Ahorros Account at Banco Nacion,

Spoke today to the Head of the Section at Banco Nacion (Sta. Fe and Azcuenaga), he stated that Residencia Permanente and CDI from AFIP plus Certificado de Domicilio by Police is required. He emphasized Residencia Temporaria/Precaria would not do, and least of all Passport plus CDI.

I know things change daily and in the past could have been different.

Last yr HSBC cut up our credit card (in front of us) and closed our account, that we had for 5 yrs. We are soooooo thankful that Bank de la Nation let us have one.
Nancy

I opened an account at Banco Galacia 2 months ago with my 2nd year DNI and a Cuit no problems.

They would not give me a credit card only debit.
By the way, I just got back from Aus and NZ where I could use my debit card in Australia and New Zealand at shops etc by just clicking the "credit" button on the machine.

Being the International entrepreneur, I left my debit card with my brother to use, then he can pay me in USD with Paypal :)

I am a citizen, have my dni, cuil and certificado de domicilio!!!! I recently went to Citi and Frances. Both will not let me open an account!!! They need to see ingresos. I don't have Argentine ingresos yet. I can't believe citizens of a country are not allowed to open bank accounts in their own country. Although, once I have a job, it will be no problem they say. Oh well. Perhaps I will try Banco de La Nación. Btw, these attempts also came with the reference of a long time customer.

@sab15;

I'm surprised they want to see ingresos. Were you trying to open a checking account? Those usually have more strict requirements.... or did you ask them about opening just a basic savings account (caja de ahorros)?

We started out with a savings account in 2007. A few weeks ago I went to apply for a credit card and because I have no local ingresos here, they said NO, not possible. I ended up talking to the branch manager and prompting her to try to get approval from Frances for the credit card, based on our good standing since 2007. We went back and forth over email for a couple of weeks, and last week they approved it. I also got a checking account (which we have no use for, but was part of the package).

@sab15;

I'm surprised they want to see ingresos. Were you trying to open a checking account? Those usually have more strict requirements.... or did you ask them about opening just a basic savings account (caja de ahorros)?

We started out with a savings account in 2007. A few weeks ago I went to apply for a credit card and because I have no local ingresos here, they said NO, not possible. I ended up talking to the branch manager and prompting her to try to get approval from Frances for the credit card, based on our good standing since 2007. We went back and forth over email for a couple of weeks, and last week they approved it. I also got a checking account (which we have no use for, but was part of the package).
congratulations!

Back