Opening A Bank Account By A Non-Resident Tourist

Whenever our bank says they are sending something to us, it really means that it will appear at a window at the back of the bank, not by post to our condo. It took us a while to figure that one out. What were we thinking?
Nancy

I opened a bank account last week at Galicia with only a CDI and a passport. However, it largely depends on the bank. This particular branch was brand new, and I think I got in "under the radar" because another bank told me "no way."

Ok. Sounds like I'll just go bank shopping. I'll try Galicia and La Nación and see what happens.

You can't just ask, you have to beg. If you own an apartment bring those papers, promise to use their insurance policy. Do whatever you have to do.
Good luck, Nancy

Funny. Ok. I'm not going to go too crazy. It's not a complete necesity now. Just that I'd like to have it and deposit some pesos. I will be employed very soon and then I'll get an account via the company.

Whenever our bank says they are sending something to us, it really means that it will appear at a window at the back of the bank, not by post to our condo. It took us a while to figure that one out. What were we thinking?
Nancy

Well, they promised the plastic will arrive in 10 days (next week), so I still have my doubts, but we'll see. :)

Got the credit cards in time, and used one to buy a dryer that same day. :)

Goes to show you there are still banks willing to work with expats.

My situation is a little different than that of the OP. I have a permanent residence and a DNI (of the new ones that say extranjero across) but I don't have any utilities on my name as I am renting an apartment. Not even my cell phone bill comes on my name as I am in a group so it goes to the titular.

The question is can I open a checking acc with a ceritficado de domicilio and do I need any other docs like CUIL etc.?
It doesn't matter the type of account as long as it allows me to make payments and transfers, online or with a debit/credit card.

I know there have been similar posts in the past but things here change so fast so I need more recent info.

Transfers? Like in from one country to another? Or from one local branch o another? The former? Don't try it unless you're willing to have your money changed into pesos automatically when it enters Argentina, by the central Bank, before you ever see the original currency....

Transfers? Like in from one country to another? Or from one local branch o another? The former? Don't try it unless you're willing to have your money changed into pesos automatically when it enters Argentina, by the central Bank, before you ever see the original currency....

No, I wouldn't even think about transferring money in, rather transfer money out of the country. thanks for the warning

Back