Opening A Bank Account By A Non-Resident Tourist

You might want to consider using a private bank. You pay a percentage in commission but its secure. Good luck!

Can you specify what do you mean by a private bank and what commission are you referring to? Technically all banks are private

It is "searchable" and also researchable. The rules here change every day, so you'll have to do some research at different banks and ask them. I think all require a minimum of a CUIL and proof of income.

Private banks are like investment houses but also trade and transfer money. I believe Banco Piano is one of the most famous.

No, I wouldn't even think about transferring money in, rather transfer money out of the country. thanks for the warning

Good luck trying to get money out of the country :rolleyes:

Technically you must have residency (and permanent) to open an account. It's been the rule since 2012. If a bank is opening accounts for anyone without it, you're lucky but def not the norm.

Good luck trying to get money out of the country :rolleyes:

Technically you must have residency (and permanent) to open an account. It's been the rule since 2012. If a bank is opening accounts for anyone without it, you're lucky but def not the norm.

I've got a permanent residence and DNI as I mentioned before. What I don't have is a bill on my name.
As for transferring money out I've found a way thanks to the good folks in this forum :)

Oops, I was refering to the OP's original ? with that 2nd comment - should have been more clear. In re the bills, I think someone had a good suggestion to take a copy of the bill with your address and CDI, etc. If they won't accept, you could always get a service in your name (2nd internet connection?).

As far as transfering money out, the easiest/only way I know of is the family help of up to 1500 USD a month. Other than that, I don't really know of any easy manner except the casa de cambio. But to be fair, I don't keep any money in a personal account here so I've never really explored.

I am a citizen, have my dni, cuil and certificado de domicilio!!!! I recently went to Citi and Frances. Both will not let me open an account!!! They need to see ingresos. I don't have Argentine ingresos yet. I can't believe citizens of a country are not allowed to open bank accounts in their own country. Although, once I have a job, it will be no problem they say. Oh well. Perhaps I will try Banco de La Nación. Btw, these attempts also came with the reference of a long time customer.

I highly doubt Banco de La Nacion will turn you way.

Everyone there is a private bank downtown that is not in the Argentine system but is still a legitimate bank. This is a bank that a lot of wealthy people use, my wife found this bank because she worked at the Argentine Jockey Club in the past. It is not technically in the banking system, but is legal. This means your deposits are not insured (deposits at Santander Rio, for instance, are insured up to 30,000 pesos), and a couple of other things, but the bank probably has more lax standards for foreigners. I will ask my wife the name of it when I get a chance.

I think Banco de La Nacion has a free account that you can open with just a passport.

http://www.ignacioonline.com.ar/2010/10/cuenta-universal-guia-para-saber-como-y.html

Back