overstay tourist visa

RogueTango said:
FYIIf you are an American with a new passport you will have to pay the $130 US fee again. Not matter if you paid it already ( i believe they stapled the receipt inside of mine) If you haven't paid it already, then be prepared.

That's just for entering, though. I won't be subjected to the reciprocity fee on my out... or will I??

EliA said:
That's just for entering, though. I won't be subjected to the reciprocity fee on my out... or will I??

No, not even if you entered before they started charging it.

(It's an entry fee, not an exit fee.)

Hello. I'd like to make a new post but don't know how to do that. I have a question: I've overstayed my visa for one year, and this is the second time I've done that here in Buenos Aires. The last time, I just paid 300 pesos at the airport after overstaying for 9 months. How many times can I overstay my tourist visa without any problems? I've been told three or four times, but I'm not sure if that is a law or if that is up to the discretion of the immigrants official at the airport to decide. Anyone know? Thanks so much! Michael

hi michael
well i just wanted to let you know about something that happened to me today.. i am 4 months overdue on my tourist visa and in a complete panic i went to the wife of my boss (who is the chief of immigrations PA) to ask him if i would be kicked out of the country or denied re entry. i met personally this afternoon with the chief of immigrations, who calmly reassured me that no one with a european passport or american passpord would ever be kicked out of the country...in the worst case scenario after doing the tourist thing four about 2 or 3 years there is a chance you could be given a stamp which says you have 90 days to leave, but that is easily solved with a 200 peso "tip" and that when i do leave to renew it, a batter of eyelashes and a smile will do the trick- not quite sure what you will do in the case you have a male immigration officer jajaja i shit you not those were his exact words. so rest assured.. :)

Hey holliegolightly, that is fantastic news. I just wish it had been passed on to other migrancione officials when I got my deportation notice 18 months ago. So, I guess I'm saying, it depends on the person you talk to, depends on the day, depends on their mood, depends on many variables.

So, no, it's not cut and dry to be assured continued right to be here. But yes, it's pretty laxed in it's enforcement. I've commented on my situation here before, and many people said NO, it's not possible, i don't believe it, so I just ignored and let it be. But some people privately e-mailed me so I told them the whole story and YES, I was told to leave!!!!!! I'm still here, but I did leave this year for more than 6 months to try and clear myself....but I also paid insane amounts of money to put my case to 'appeal' in which time, I'm entitled to stay here.

So, thanks for your good news, and knowledgeable info, as you know people in the realm, but I must let people know that it's not a given for all.

holliegolightly, I must confess, In my ignorance, I did not read your email well. On re - reading I see that you say he confirmed that people on European or American passports were ok. I have neither of these. As I read quickly, I think I assumed it meant - all non Merco Sur. Personally, I thought conditions were similar for all non merco sur - but maybe not. Maybe I am wrong in this respect.

Dolly said:
Yes Nikad - I know - did I say something wrong?
I might have misread what you wrote ( blame it on malbec + the heat )

RogueTango said:
FYI, though they scan your passport when you come into the country, there is no "system" that keeps track of your goings locally (in the network sense I mean) So that when they scan you it's not as if something comes up on a screen, the information is one way (going out) only. If you are an American with a new passport you will have to pay the $130 US fee again. Not matter if you paid it already ( i believe they stapled the receipt inside of mine) If you haven't paid it already, then be prepared.
This is what I am told by my friend who spends 6 months out of every year here.

I know that Argentines with Visas to other countries keep their expired passport and just bring both the new one and the old one with the visa when travelling -- just because the passport is expired, the visa may not be.

I would assume this is the case with the reciprocity fee paid by Americans entering Argentina - isn't it valid for Americans for 10 years? I think Canadians have to pay every time, but I thought you guys got a break. If the receipt in your old passport has an expiry date miles beyond the validity of your passport, I would at least try it -- travel with both the new one and the expired one and show the visa receipt in the old one next time you enter -- you may get away with saving yourself the entry fee.

Back