Overstaying 90-day limit

Even though some "immigration officials keep approving your entry into the country under a tourist visa" it apparently only takes one immigration official to deny your next entry...which means your detention (or "arrest" if you prefer the term) and subsequent deportation.

If I understand correctly, that can happen at the sole discretion of the individual official and does not require approval from the official's jefe.

I understand now. Thanks. Just being detained for some hours before the next flight out, doesn't sound so harsh. When I heard arrested I was imagining getting thrown into some jail or something. Well I'm glad those days are over for me.

Malteaser1, I hear the border is pretty porous with the neighboring countries if you get desperate...but then you really may get arrested!!

I understand now. Thanks. Just being detained for some hours before the next flight out, doesn't sound so harsh. When I heard arrested I was imagining getting thrown into some jail or something. Well I'm glad those days are over for me.

Malteaser1, I hear the border is pretty porous with the neighboring countries if you get desperate...but then you really may get arrested!!
When you are arrested for deportation inside AR territory, then you go to a real jail but they do not mix you with common criminals.

When you are arrested for deportation inside AR territory, then you go to a real jail but they do not mix you with common criminals.
I think Wayland's comment was about what happens at the airport when you are denied entry, arrested, and deported (always or only sometimes with a five year ban on returning?).

In other words, where is the person detained while waiting to board the outbound flight?

Thank you very much to everyone for yoyr replies and the information you have given me!

I've been doing some research into what I need to get residence if I were to marry my partner, and what worries me is the valid stamp upon entry, given that it said that they could take up to twomonths to process the request and documents...What happens if my stamp expires during or before they process everythig? Will they take unto account the day that I applied for it, or will they require for it to be valid through the entire process? It is quite expensive and something that us required to be done once you are in Argentina, so Im wondering what happens if they take longer and my 90 days expire whilst waiting?

I can't go and ask for an extension because my passport is full of stamps and Im afraid of being detained or anything...would they be more forgiving if I said I was getting married and trying to sort everything out, or would that be worse?

I've been doing some research into what I need to get residence if I were to marry my partner, and what worries me is the valid stamp upon entry, given that it said that they could take up to twomonths to process the request and documents...What happens if my stamp expires during or before they process everythig? Will they take unto account the day that I applied for it, or will they require for it to be valid through the entire process? It is quite expensive and something that us required to be done once you are in Argentina, so Im wondering what happens if they take longer and my 90 days expire whilst waiting?

I can't go and ask for an extension because my passport is full of stamps and Im afraid of being detained or anything...would they be more forgiving if I said I was getting married and trying to sort everything out, or would that be worse?

As far as I know, you can apply for the permanent residency based n marriage even if your tourist permit has expired. You will have to pay the appropriate overstay fee at some point, perhaps when you start the process.

That being said, in my opinion it would be best to get married and apply for the permanent residency before your present 90 day permit expires. I believe you will get an automatic 90 day extension when you submit your application.

In the past some foreigners who wanted to get married in Argentina posted that they were told that the needed a valid 90 day tourist permit to get married. I suggest you and your partner ask abut this at the "comune" (not sure about the spelling) in the barrio where you reside.

Then get married ASAP

Meanwhile, stay away from migraciones.

Hi,
I have been living here in BA for 4 years. I did visa runs for the first 2.5 years, and then overstayed. I have about 25 stamps from Argentina, and 14 from Uruguay. Plus an overstay of about 15 months- I last entered in Sept of 2018. I have a trip scheduled next week and am getting worried I will be denied entry on my second overstay, plus collection of entry stamps. I am getting worried and think I will be denied entry. I am booking a flight leaving out of Argentina to another country for the day after I fly in. Any other tips? How risky is this? Thanks

did you pay your fines?
Yes, I paid the overstay fine when I left the airport for my flight to the USA in May 2018. This was the last time I left Argentina. I returned Sept 2018. What other fines are there?

I waited 1 hour fifteen minutes to enter Argentina a few days ago. They are training more employees at passport control. They expect this summer to be faster entries.

Back