Overstaying 90-day limit

To Steve: there are places where dual-citizenship isn't permissible but I don't think Canada is one of them.

Thanks, man with no name!

Your comment inspired me to research the question and here's a very relevant post Dr. Rubilar made on December 15, 2011!!

Hi, some clarifications. I am a local attorney.

The law changed a year ago and now, to overstay and to abuse of the visa renewal are both equally illegal, that s why I always suggest to overstay instead of doing the Uruguay trip because it is useless and a jeopardy because they can deny your re entry.

However, this is a civilized country where those illegalities doesn't mean that your are committing a crime, it is just an administrative irregularity that can he healed if you apply for residency or citizenship.

Citizenship has low requirements in this country (if you enforce the valid law, of course) and you can apply after 1 year with your passport, a police address certificate and you can evidence your honest way of living using 2 witnesses.

The procedure takes 1 year more or less.

You don t give up your Canadian citizenship. I suggest you e mail the Canadian Consul in Argentina and you ask about any doubt you have.

You can read more about this at my website.

Regards

PS: The above quote was posted in another thread about (drum roll) foreigners overstaying the 90 day visa. The big change in the "law" came with the decree in 2010, but even in 2014 there was a post by a veteran member who wrote that employees at migraciones were laughing at North Americans who thought they had something to fear about overstaying their 90 day visas.

At least (based on Dr. Rubilar's comments),there seems to be less to fear now than there was several months ago.

Last edited:
Define god level racism:

Stay in Uruguay, we do not miss you.

FYI having AR DNI you have the right to live there, it is not a matter of attitude, it is the law ;)

I am in Argentina and certainly have no taste for what is going around here. I wish I could go back but family issues . Inflation and dumb and dumber seems to the way of life here. Not that is any different any place in the world you but Argies have taken that to a new level. But I have plan I always have a plan. Power going out, internet cutting out. inflation night mare still in motion, nothing is done with excellence or on time it is a mighty long list.

And the married to an ARG skip imaginations is for real working that route now. I wonder which will happen first the DNI which was supposed to take 90 days NOT.. LOL . Or the citizenship one only has to wonder. Or maybe I will just back to US and find some Trumpsters to speak Spanish to them until they assult me and the defend myself with lethal force. One good thing about Argentina there are no Trumpsters here I thank God for that daily. Might be a few in BA but I have not run into one here.

Hi again guys. Thanks a lot for your advice in January. I’ve chosen to leave Argentina and visit family for a while and come back another time if I want to continue living here. So I just want to clear up a couple of final things. My flight out is next week, March 21 very early in the morning. So: @steveinbsas @Bajo_cero2

Is the easiest way to pay and leave just to get to EZE as early as possible (for my situation, the night before, i suppose) and handle it there? Or should I try to get over to migraciones tomorrow (Friday) or early next week? What could possibly happen at EZE that would have me miss my flight? Is everything at EZE open 24 hours?

Thanks so much, you were all very helpful before and thanks in advance for helping me one last time!

You pay the fine and leave. Do not go to immigration, they can arrest you.

@Bajo_cero2 Understood. Thank you.

My only remaining question: like I said, my flight is early in the morning. If I get there at, for example, 10pm, midnight, or 2am, will it be possible for me to pay? These places are open 24 hours?

just wayward travelier.. but i would find a way to do it before i was in travel mode in the airport. last trip out, on entering aduana did not post an entry stamp in my passport. airline would not issue my ticket until i went to passport control. 3 hours later, was able to get my tickets and continue through security and imigrations. i went 4 hours early. i believe there are posts about going to retiro immigration and paying the fine before leaving. don’t count on anything last minute in argentina for ease of mind and travel connections

I would be very surprised if they made you go to passport before issuing ticket. This is routine. You just pay the fine and leave.

Question for a friend: how much is the fine these days? And can you pay with american express?

just wayward travelier.. but i would find a way to do it before i was in travel mode in the airport. last trip out, on entering aduana did not post an entry stamp in my passport. airline would not issue my ticket until i went to passport control. 3 hours later, was able to get my tickets and continue through security and imigrations. i went 4 hours early. i believe there are posts about going to retiro immigration and paying the fine before leaving. don’t count on anything last minute in argentina for ease of mind and travel connections

Not having an entry stamp is entirely different from overstaying the 90 day visa. Polostar is correct. Brandon will not have to go to passport control before going to the airline check in. He will only only have to pay the fine (now $1500) before he can check in.

Yes, there are old posts about going to Retiro to pay the fine but the newest one on that subject was made in this thread by Dr. Rubilar just yesterday at 5:01 pm and his advice was clear: "Do not go to immigration, they can arrest you."

I am not sure if the fine can be paid with a credit card and I am not sure exactly what hours the fine can be paid but I don't think it is necessary to arrive at the airport the night before the flight. Three hours early should allow enough time.

Migraciones is "undoubtedly" open for business well in advance of scheduled international departures for those who have overstayed, but it would be helpful if someone who is absolutely certain can confirm this today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am not sure if the fine can be paid with a credit card and I am not sure exactly what hours the fine can be paid but I don't think it is necessary to arrive at the airport the night before the flight. Three hours early should allow enough time.

Check out this page: Habilitación de Salida

Disposición DNM Nº 899/2013 says that the fine is payable in cash only at Banco de la Nacion or via "Provincia Pagos".

Find out working hours of Banco de la Nacion at Ezeiza terminal A. According to their web site phone number is 4480-0542. I believe it is supposed to work 24/7, but please call them to make sure.

You will have to stand in line twice in the immigration office (to get a payment form and to show them a payment confirmation) and once in the Banco de la Nacion. These are general lines, so YMMV greatly.

Back