Pan Dulce Don't You Think The Prices Are A Bit Crazy?

I think I might be the only one who hates pan dulce even it's from Plaza Mayor.
I'm like Scrooge. LOL. I think it tastes like stale pan lactal, all all dried out with some sugar coated nuts on it. I miss gingerbread cookies.....and pumpkin pie.

Panettone in NYC US$25, Panettone in BsAs US$15. How much less do you think it should be?
Nancy

I agree with Syngirl. You come with US dollars so for you pan dulce is cheap. For Argentines and expats that earn in pesos, pan dulce is very expensive.

I think I might be the only one who hates pan dulce even it's from Plaza Mayor.
I'm like Scrooge. LOL. I think it tastes like stale pan lactal, all all dried out with some sugar coated nuts on it. I miss gingerbread cookies.....and pumpkin pie.
Not all pan dulces are dry. I hate the dry ones too. And some use what you describe as a "pan lactal" type of dough while others use real sourdough.

I say raise the price to $2500. Cut off the head of the crumbly beast now.

Same goes for Vital Tony, PeeOhNoNo, Sickly sweet "cider" and thrice-warmed over parillad-to-death lechón.

Use the revenues to subsidise Chiles Rellenos and Kim Chee para todos.

Same goes for Vital Tony, PeeOhNoNo,
I would like alternate names for the other two horsemen of the Christmas culinary apocalypse:
ensalada rusa
lengua a la vinagreta

Same goes for Vital Tony, PeeOhNoNo, Sickly sweet "cider" and thrice-warmed over parillad-to-death lechón.

Use the revenues to subsidise Chiles Rellenos and Kim Chee para todos.

Calm down Rooney, hands off the lechon. That's my refuge in the dark days of summer christmas. Hands off the cider too...it's not particularly great but I'm ok with cheap socially acceptable alcohol.

In the interests of equalitysville, I hate turkey almost as much as any of the above. Rotten flavourless lump of a bird. Goose is much better, if Xmas dinner were about nice game I'd be much more interested but turkey is one horrible bird, only picked for big feasts because it's cheap and the meat is plentiful. Only a damn fool would eulogise it, a damn fool ,..you hear me!

I would like alternate names for the other two horsmen of the Christmas culinary apocalypse:
ensalada rusa
lengua a la vinagreta

one is just mayonaisse and veg, is it any better or worse than coleslaw and any other white slop? I dunno. Doesn't raise my ire, however production of lengua should be a capital offence. Enough to make me nostalgic for a salmonella filled lukewarm prawn cocktail.

What does the currency of your salary have to do with the price of a Panettone?

If 25 bucks is the going rate for Panettone (I have no idea), then in dollar terms the price here (allegedly ~200 ARS) is lower using even the official rate.

The issue is that most Argentines are earning pesos, not dollars. AR$200 is an awful lot of money to spend on a traditional (non luxury item) dessert for most Argentines.

Let's think about in a simple day-to-day living type of comparison.

In NYC, a round trip on the subway costs US$5. This is 1/5 the cost of our doorstop/dessert in question.

In BA, a round trip on the subte costs AR$10. This is 1/20 the cost of our doorstop/dessert.

That panettone takes a much smaller bite out of my budget here in the US than it does of my suegros. This is why I feel that the panettone is a bit too expensive in BA

Compare the price to a regular cup of coffee (not a Starbucks, but the on the street coffee), a slice of pizza, or anything similar. I'm heading down to BA tomorrow, and my Argentine husband (who travels back more often than I do) has warned me that a lot has changed, price-wise, in the last year. His family, middle class, all earning in pesos, tells us this all the time.

Back