Pancakes question

I know this is a bit of an old post.. but had a question: Is there anywhere we can get baking powder that isn't in the tiny packets? I'd started using it for cleaning and other random household things then arrived to only find the tiny bags!

I know this is a bit of an old post.. but had a question: Is there anywhere we can get baking powder that isn't in the tiny packets? I'd started using it for cleaning and other random household things then arrived to only find the tiny bags!
yes, pharmacies sell "larger" packages... not the size you get like for instance, Arm & Hammer box for the fridge; but larger than what you would find in the supermarket.
EDIT: sorry, I made the same error that Bradly made before... that's for baking soda. Still, there are larger continers of baking powder available: thte Royal brand have 100g screw-top bottles, and I recall seeing larger but may be hidden on the top shelf of the grocery store. Other than that, the dieteticas might sell this in bulk.

Here's a spot that has 3 k container: http://www.circeonline.com.ar/polvos.htm

I think elisa wants bicarbonato de sodio (baking soda). She should look for it at a ferreteria. If you look for it in the supermarkets, you will only find the tiny packets for use in baking.
I believe the one sold in ferreteria is not fit for human consumption, given the dirty conditions of many ferreterias.
Bicarbonato is excellent also to clean washing machines, btw.

In Italy they sell it in boxes just like salt, and you can use it both to wash veggies, cook and clean.

Serafina, how do you use it to wash the washing machine? I've not heard of that before.

Serafina, how do you use it to wash the washing machine? I've not heard of that before.

I had read about that on the Internet (here, here and here) but I never actually tried that because in Italy I was able to find ready-made products to clean my dishwasher and washing machine.

I found an interesting guide here on how to use it. Here's an extract:

Dishwshers:
To clean and sanitize your dishwasher we advise you to add regularly some Solvay® sodium bicarbonate (100 g once a month) to your empty dishwashing machine and to choose the rinse cycle program; this will help you to maintain your dishwasher fresh and clean. Also use every 15 days some Solvay® sodium bicarbonate to clean the filter

Washing machines:
Against lime formation
Directions for use:
• against lime formation and to avoid that lime residues stick to your clothes or damage the walls of your washing machine we suggest, besides adding regularly some product to your laundry, to use once per month about 150 g (½ mug) of Solvay® sodium bicarbonate, and to add it to your empty washing machine and run and empty cycle.

Bicarbonato de Sodio/baking soda, baking powder/polvo de hornear - at any dietica, you can by it by the kilo/ 100 g

BTW Baking soda has a much longer shelf life than baking powder and you can make baking powder from baking soda.

Nothing to do with baking soda but more related to natural home remedies: you can use vinegar to clean hardwood floors, and if you put used tea bags inside your shoes they absorb the humidity and smell. I've had a bag of used chai tea bags in my Nikes for months and they have no smell at all. Peppermint tea bags kept in the cupboards scare bugs away and keep and combat odors in refrigerators too.

Interesting. How?

• To make baking powder, mix one part baking soda and two parts cream of tartar. So, if yourecipe calls for 1 tablespoon of baking powder, use 1 teaspoon of baking soda, mixed in with 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.Jul 1, 2014
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-baking-powder-out-of-baking-soda-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-212553

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tangobob Food and Drink 11
Tilda Food and Drink 15
Joe Food and Drink 15
GS_Dirtboy Expat Life 19
B Newcomers Forum 0
Back