Pay for cleaners

"cbphoto" said:
Mike... we are merely talking about giving people a living raise. Being fair...doing whats right.. you in all your babbling say their is nothing we can do...the system is the system...in other words: right or wrong, you can't beat them, you can't set or choose NOT to set an example...you choose..to join them... in my book, that makes you a looser...I just gave my cleaning lady a 200% raise :) To all that have a problem with that:KISS MY.....
And what about the other expats who are living here and are making an English teacher's salary, living with 2-3 other expats in the same apartment? Should they jump on your "inflation" bandwagon too?

I came back to my building this afternoon and found out that three of the 8 cleaning ladies that work here have been fired. One of the 3 worked for me. I already have a list of ladies who want that job in the first place for the original pay PLUS perks.
I cannot afford to pay 200% raise and I am not kissing anyone's ***!
For every job there is in this skill level of a cleaning lady, there are 5 to 7 waiting in the wing to jump in should the right circumstance is. And like we all say in the building - we can only afford what we can afford and we old hags tend to stick together, the looser - college professors, couple of dentists and 2 accountants.
You know I wish I also earned more so I can pay the cleaning lady more but there are this pesky kids to feel, health insurance to pay and somehow the grocery store and verdurero expects money everytime I get something from them - the audacity of these people, they know I need to pay the cleaning lady some more money and here they are expecting more what do they think of me made of money? Unbelievable but IT IS WHAT IT IS, amen.

Well said Matty, I couldn't agree with you more. I guess some people just turn the other cheek when it comes to the realities of things. Argentinians are like that, they would "test" you to see how far they can go, and taking as much advantage as we're letting them. This is why I'm doing what the locals do, and think like the people here. Being an expat does not make me any better, richer, or far more advantageous than anyone else in my barrio. Sure I can pay more, so that there's more excuse for them to take up a higher pay hike by making us feel guilty? No thank you, I'd rather stand firm on my ground rather than being pushover because of the stereotype. I actually get more respect this way rather than being called a "boludo" that lives down the street.

Damn..I didn't know you guys had it so hard... what was that in one of your other posts Mike? You had no problem bringing in 28 000$ in camera and computer equipment.... you also had to pay tax of 40% on some recent purchase of an 8000$ camera in the States... with all those expenses I understand why 2$ more an hour for your maid is out of the question....Your experiment of living on 20 pesos a day ( another excuse you wrote to explain that your maid can live well on what you pay her) was missing a few important details about the cost of living...to name a few: children, school, rent & bills, health insurance, transportation.....For those of you who are on teachers salary I am sure you would agree that your pay is too low for what you do.... of course if you are getting 20 pesos an hour...seems absurd that your maid should be getting nearly the same... but the fact is, you too should be getting a 200% pay hike...The point I am trying to make... that it seems too many people are underpaid for the work they do... not because the money is not there to pay them a living wage, but because of the few that have the money...not willing to give them the respect, the living wage they deserve for their hard work....If you can not afford to pay a maid a living wage, a wage that YOU think is enough, then clean up your own house... If you can't afford to tip 10% in a restaurant...eat at homeI have always cleaned up my own mess...never had a maid. I only have a maid now because it is included in the rent. She comes once a week for 2 hours. I was thinking of telling my landlord that I don't need her to come by anymore, but then thought that she surely needs the money. When I found out that she only gets 7pesos an hour... it bothered me...so now she gets 14.50pesos an hour... I can afford it... it's about 40u$s a month.... instead of 20u$s.... ouch Before you continue your attacks.... take this into consideration... all I am saying is to treat everyone as you want to be treated...Mike: you have money.... "much more than the national average.." to quote you... It seems your "philosophy" is that everyone treats everyone else like crap...so I will do the same, and hide behind a bunch of words to make myself feel better about it...myself. Since you have become so chatty on the topic... It seems their is still hope for you.... :p

Argentina which has some of the worlds richest land and also some of the worlds most richest people cannot justify the wages that it pays its citizens . I have always believed that teachers here are grossly unpaid and also cleaners and many other important professions.
My principles will not allow me to pay what the going rate is for cleaners and other professions where there is a inbalance.
If you guys are comfotable in paying 7 pesos an hour go for it but me I am not .
There are too many people in Buenos Aires living in shantytowns and in substandard conditions and most work and do not take drugs . Tell me guys how can a family with two kids afford to live with under 2000 pesos a month.
As a society we can all make a difference to create better conditions nnd respect for our fellow citizens . That is what creates oportunities for others to have a chance of a better life.

I think we just have to do what is right for each and every one of us. The cleaning lady is not looking out for my family's budget, I do that. And I have to do what is right and goes right for my family.

I gave my cleaner a 30% rise a couple of months ago (instead of the 50% rise she asked for). I am taking into account the fact that there will be more rises to come. However much you pay someone, they will expect an increase at least once a year...
An increase to 200% leaves no room for manoeuvre and this kind of largesse may backfire since it is really just a suggestion of much deeper pockets.

"cbphoto" said:
I can afford it... it's about 40u$s a month.... instead of 20u$s.... ouch
Yup, ONLY an extra $20 a month, which is $240 a year, which I can use towards extra 1 week of car rental when I go home to visit my family, and I have to work more for it? I also think about things in long term as well. I'm talking about business expenses, taxes, home improvements, etc. :p

"Mike1" said:
I can afford it... it's about 40u$s a month.... instead of 20u$s.... ouch Yup, ONLY an extra $20 a month, which is $240 a year, which I can use towards extra 1 week of car rental when I go home to visit my family, and I have to work more for it? I also think about things in long term as well. I'm talking about business expenses, taxes, home improvements, etc. :p
Incredible... do you hear yourself? You can't give your maid a living wage... because you could use the money for an extra week of car rental when you go to the States... It is blatantly clear the only person you care about is yourself and what you want... who cares who you use and step on along the way...Did it ever occur to you that the "extra" 20$ a month for your maid, could come from 1 less dinner out...for example? Maybe you could rent a smaller car when you visit your family... of what I understand from your other posts...you earn upwards of 40 000$ a year....30 000$ of camera and computer equipment... remodel on the house/apartment (you own?)....but 240$ for your maid doesn't fit in your "budget"?Does anyone else read this the way I do?

What extras I make do not reflect what is of the norm here. I, for one, am not a charitable organization they are out there, but not me. I want to keep things the way they are. If I start driving a Porsche and start throwing those extras here and there, I'd be robbed so fast, my car would just all of a sudden "disappear" and my house would completely be cleaned out just from "words" going around the streets. I'd like to keep a low key on things, thank you. What I mentioned above was just an example of where that wasted funds could be going to, and I often wondered why many people back home are so much in debt and often hated by the world because of that mentality... Also, not to mention the meager bank account to boot. I guess this is why I could afford the $8000 camera, not to show off, but to use for work, and you're still using what you're using.

Back