Paying bills?

Ceviche

Registered
I use the Banco Ciudad debit card to pay for all purchases and rarely have any cash in my wallet. It's nice not dealing with the dirty paper. I'm happy to have a free local bank account with a debit card that keeps life simple.
Thanks Jantango.

steveinbsas

Registered
I use the Banco Ciudad debit card to pay for all purchases and rarely have any cash in my wallet. It's nice not dealing with the dirty paper. I'm happy to have a free local bank account with a debit card that keeps life simple.
Except you get the official rate from your bank. I get above blue from Western Union.
While it's true that you would only get the "official" exchange rate if you used a foreign debit card to make a purchase or pay a bill in Argentina, the exchange rate is not an issue when using a debit card issued by an Argentine bank (such as a Banco Ciudad debit card as jantango does) to pay bills or pay for purchases made in Argentina.

I only use my foreign (Charles Schwab) debit card to make transfers by Western Union and I only use my Argentine debit card to get the relatively small amounts of cash I need each month at the grocery store or at the gas station ($8K pesos maximum per day). I only need cash to pay for (a maximium of two) 10 kilo tanks of LP gas once a month when the YPF truck comes to the plaza one KM from my house on Friday afternoons and to buy beef and chicken from the best local butcher (who only accepts cash).

I use my Argentine credit card to pay for almost everything else, including groceries at the local market 1.2 KM from my house and all purchases on Mercado Libre. Even though Mercado Libre charges an additional commission to sellers who offer interest free payments of six to eighteen months (usually for used items that are incredibly cheap thanks to the WU exchange rate). I have also been aboe to "pick off" the best buys from the highly competetive sellers of new, high ticket items (my cell phone and lawn mower) who's prices are still lower than those who do not offer interest free payments on identical or similar items. The savings more than offsets all of the fees for my bank account and credit card.

PS: I use my Argentine credit card to make only one foreign purchase each month and that's Netflix.

jantango

Registered
I just discovered that the new Home Banking system still requires the use of a TOKEN for bill payment. I don't have a cellphone, so I can't fulfill the requirement of a TOKEN.