Penalty for Staying in Argentina Illegaly???

Gonzo

Registered
I know someone that has been staying in Buenos Aires for 2 years straight! Apparently he's never left to renew his tourist visa, he's simply enjoying the night life in BsAs while working in "negro" at a hostel. He hasn't considered leaving or getting any sort of visa or documentation.

What will happen to him once he tries to leave Argentina? Aren't immigration laws becoming more and more strict?

Recently a friend told me she had to pay US$130 to enter Argentina. She arrived in February and she is from California. I never had to pay anything before, but supposedly there is a new fee. Is it just for Americans? Is there an even higher penalty fee if you let your visa expire? I have a nice job that pays in negro and I am tired of going to Uruguay.

Gonzo, if you read the related threads on the forum you will have all the info you need.

There have been hundreds of posts about the new fee...as well as the charge for overstaying a visa.

The new entry fee also applies to Canadians and Australians.

If your friend has actually been in Argentina for more than two years without leaving, he may be able to apply for citizenship, but he would have to provide evidence of financial solvency...and working en negro might not be acceptable...

The fine for overstaying the visa is now $300 pesos, payable at the airport prior to departure.

Or simply apply for a DNI? I use the word 'simply' very loosely :)

Gringoboy said:
Or simply apply for a DNI? I use the word 'simply' very loosely :)

That's a good one...

You have to have a resident visa to apply for a DNI.

There is the rub.

Yeah, talk about unrealistic. Getting your residency is a four year process. First you get permission to be here (student or work visa or what not) then you spend a year and a half doing paperwork to get your DNI and then once a year you renew your temporary visa so that your DNI doesn't expire. After three years of that you can become a (semi) permanent resident (which is still not citizenship, to be clear).

Back to the original question, we have some friends that overstayed their tourist visa (passport) by about a year, and when they left they had to pay about 350 pesos each and they got a "strict talking to." They plan on coming back next month so we will see how that works, but I doubt it will be a problem. My boyfriend overstayed his time by a couple of days and had to pay 300 pesos, but didn't get the talk, nor had any problems coming back.

What would happen if this guy went to his country's consulate soon before he planned to leave and said that his passport was lost or stolen? He'd have a new passport to present at the airport.

I have stayed by two years illegally as well, and the fine perhaps six months ago was still only $50.00 Pesos. Now you must pay the fine upon any border crossing out of the country--imagine what the Argentines would say if you refuse to pay, "well then we will just keep you here forever as a non-citizen!"

However, people entering the country, ...wait "folks entering" (now I can Obamasize my text)...must pay the entry fee ONLY at the airport. If you come in by ferry from Uruguay or from Santiago by bus, then you pay NOTHING upon entering. Still a nice deal.

Nobody will get a "talking to" as the Argentines are not as sadistic as Americans.

I've always wondered what would happen if you turned up at the airport, 2 years into your 3-month tourist visa, and showed them your empty wallet, saying "i'm leaving because I'm stony broke"

what would they do? Throw you in prison? :)

nuitzangaro said:
...some friends that overstayed their tourist visa (passport) by about a year, and when they left they had to pay about 350 pesos each and they got a "strict talking to." They plan on coming back next month ....

Lol!, a lot of people don't seem to take the warnings or fines serious. I'm about to be on the same boat because I don't want to bother with Uruguay again. I'd rather just pay the fine once I leave, but I am wondering if there will be any long-term implications, such as losing the possibility of a future visa or work permit.

Back