Perma-tourists and round trip plane tickets from BA

...yeah, but let{s call a spade a spade....some airlines really do this to extort extra revenue from unwary travellers. They know, at least in the case of Latin Ammerica, that Immigration here never enforces any onward travel rules and never forces them to send people back.

Does anyone here have actual first hand knowledge of someone actually being turned around by IMMIGRATION in Latin America for not having proof of "onward travel" so that the airlines had to send them back? It is a game that some airlines play to unfairly enrich themselves by forcing passengers to buy expensive last-minute return tickets when they are in a vulnerable position.

mendozanow said:
...yeah, but let{s call a spade a spade....some airlines really due this to extort extra revenue from unwary travellers. They know, at least in the case of Latin Ammerica, that Immigration here never enforces any onward travel rules and never forces them to send people back.

Does anyone here have actual first hand knowledge of someone actually being turned around by customs in Latin America for not having proof of "onward travel" so that the airlines had to send them back? It is a game that some airlines play to unfairly rich themselves by forcing passengers to buy expensive last-minute return tickets when they are in a vulnerable position.

OK, let's call a spade a spade. "Customs" never turned away anyone.

ONLY immigration (aka migraciones in Latin America) has the power to do so.

mendozanow said:
Got me ...bitch slapped again by the Stevers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you wish?;)

Are you into leather?:cool:

I realize this is a personal question, but you just made it personal.:p

(I didn't really mean to hurt you).:rolleyes:

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you wish?;)

Are you into leather?:cool:

I realize this is a personal question, but you just made it personal.:p

I believe that it's very difficult to import leather unless you are exporting an equal value of manufactured goods. But even that might not be enough in the case of leather gods.

What is interesting is areolineas would do this, as in my experience they are very lax with this sort of thing. In the 4 - going on 5 years coming and going, not once has areolineas queried me, but others have. I have never had to buy a ticket though, as i have always had an answer.

Napoleon said:
I believe that it's very difficult to import leather unless you are exporting an equal value of manufactured goods. But even that might not be enough in the case of leather gods.

Did you really mean to use the term leather gods?

Is there such a thing as a Freudian typo?:confused:

I will be in this situation on Thursday, flying with Lufthansa on the last leg of an Orlando-Madrid-Buenos Aires ticket. I plan to purchase a bus ticket to Montevideo beforehand, bring a printed copy of my receipt to the airport, and hope that suffices at check-in. Vamos a ver.

starlucia said:
I will be in this situation on Thursday, flying with Lufthansa on the last leg of an Orlando-Madrid-Buenos Aires ticket. I plan to purchase a bus ticket to Montevideo beforehand, bring a printed copy of my receipt to the airport, and hope that suffices at check-in. Vamos a ver.
Returned to Buenos Aires two weeks ago on the last leg of a round trip ticket originating from EZE. When entering Argentina, immigration agent asked me when "are you leaving Argentina?" Did have an exit ticket on another reservation and was not a problem answering the question. Was not asked to show documentation. However, the agent's question did raise my curiosity, did the official have knowledge that this flight was the termination of a round trip ticket or was the question a fluke?
Do not think you will have a problem. However, knowing that there is a gray area concerning onward passage can make for a stressful journey. Do not envy your situation. Airline travel is one big pain in the ass.

Back