Permanent DNI and Brazil or Mercosur

Maikito

Registered
Hello Guys,

Do you know if I have a Permanent DNI...

1- Must I still have to bring my passport to Brazil?

2- Do I still need a tourist visa from the Brazilian Embassy?

Yes, and yes. (assuming you are not a mercosur citizen).

Only if you are a citizen of a Mercosur country can you enter the member
Mercosur countries with just a DNI and without a visa (for Brasil)

so even if I have my permanent residency in Argentina and a permanent argentina mercosur DNI...I still have to apply for the brazilian visa?

I believe so. The visa requirement is based on your citizenship, not residency. If you are a US citizen or a citizen of a country that Brazil requires its citizens to apply for cosular visas, then you have to get one regardless of your residency status in Argentina.

From the Brazilian consulate web site:

Los extranjeros con residencia regular en Argentina podrán ingresar a Brasil con los documentos listados siempre que, por motivo de su nacionalidad, la visa consular no sea requisito para ingresar. En este último supuesto deberá utilizar el pasaporte de su nacionalidad y visado correspondiente. Para saber si necesita visa, ingrese en vistos/visa.

http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/info_para_tur_em_br.asp

This basically says that if you are a foreigner with residency in Argentina, you may enter without a visa (and just your DNI or any other approved ID), ONLY if, based on your nationality, you are NOT required to have a consular visa.

That would not apply for US citizens as we are required to have a consular visa to enter Brazil. Your DNI, whether permanent or not, will state your nationality.

List of nationalities that require a consular visa

Brazil seems to be a strong beliver of reciprocity towards inmigration and tourism. If your country of origin requires brazilians to have a visa to enter, then it is almost certain Brazil will require a visa from you also, and they may even try to make it as hard for you to get the visa, as your home country makes it hard for brazilians to get theirs.

well that sucks lol. Thanks a lot for the info!!!! I guess I have to still apply for this visa.

Yes, you absolutely must get the visa and take your passport with you.
Does anyone know about Chile? Do they require a visa? and if so, how much does it cost?

Maikito said:
so even if I have my permanent residency in Argentina and a permanent argentina mercosur DNI...I still have to apply for the brazilian visa?
Yes it´s your passport that counts. And the 500 pesos they wants!

sergio said:
Yes, you absolutely must get the visa and take your passport with you.
Does anyone know about Chile? Do they require a visa? and if so, how much does it cost?

You don't need a visa for Chile with a US passport but you have to pay an entry fee. I'm sorry I don't remember how much it is.

Does anyone know how much the Chilean entry fee is? Does it apply to European passports too?

Back