Permanent Residence status - question

alexis

Registered
I have "residencia permanente" in Argentina. I would like to know how long I can leave the country without losing my permanent residence status. Does anyone have up-to-date information? This is very important to me, so please no speculation, just facts. Thanks.

there probably arent too many people to look to for this experience

and if there is, personally i would rather go to the embassy and find out and get it in writing or see it in writing.

If you want facts, I suggest you contact migraciones.

Hopefully, you will speak with someone who actually knows the law.

I have read a number of posts in several sites that indicate NO specific length of "stay" in Argentina is required to maintain "permanent" resident status.

Just remember that permanent residency also entails taxation of worldwide income and assets....though I have yet to meet a foreigner with permanent resident status that pays those taxes.

Going to the embassy is useless. This is a matter involving the Argentine government, not my home country's government.

Going to Migraciones may yield different answers! That's why I'd like to hear from someone who is in a similr situation.

Few Argentines declare their investments outside of Argentina. It's not just an expat issue!

alexis said:
Few Argentines declare their investments outside of Argentina. It's not just an expat issue!

Right. Since (in your opinion) expats should be not be concerned about obeying the law any more than Argentines, why are you so concerned about your (legal) resident status?

Residencia Permanente is permanent residence. NO more renewals are required. I assume if you have permanent you renewed it several times. Now that it is permanent you can leave without losing the status. You just have to make sure your fiscal address and all of the addresses for DNI, and the tax authorities are up to date. Jorge Ruffa is a great immigration lawyer. He would probably charge you a consult fee but I have found it is best to do things right.

[email protected]

It is permanent status. ON the taxes, if you came on a rentista visa and the income you have is pension etc, then there are no taxes in Argentina.

EMR: on the taxes..you are right ..there are no AR income taxes on visa rentista or pensionada..but permanente is another matter...though those I know who have it say they aren't paying.

Yes but Steve, the way it was explained to me is that if you begin by rentista and renew so after the 3rd year etc it becomes permanent instead of temporary, you still have qualified rentista so you would not be expected to pay tax on the pension income etc, however if you begin a business or earn money in Argentina, you would have to pay on that portion of it. That's why they need to talk to a lawyer and not off of a post. The change from temporary to permanent is just that but it depends on the type which you came in with. make sense?

EMR said:
Yes but Steve, the way it was explained to me is that if you begin by rentista and renew so after the 3rd year etc it becomes permanent instead of temporary, you still have qualified rentista so you would not be expected to pay tax on the pension income etc, however if you begin a business or earn money in Argentina, you would have to pay on that portion of it. That's why they need to talk to a lawyer and not off of a post. The change from temporary to permanent is just that but it depends on the type which you came in with. make sense?

I sincerely hope that is correct!

do not stay out of the country more than 2 years or your permanent residency will be cancelled (provision 62 inc. c) of Immigration Act). In other words: live in the US if you want, but make sure you visit Argentina every 2 years at least for one day. ;)

Attorney.

Back