Pesos On The Plane Info.

Not to worry.... Wear the $, divide it between different places also.. I've never been searched . But I would never risk declaring anything about money. Ironically to me it seems like asking for problems.

I'm trying to figure out why the OP would want to take pesos OUT of Argentina? Because as far as I know, they're pretty much worthless anywhere outside of Argentina.

I'm trying to figure out why the OP would want to take pesos OUT of Argentina? Because as far as I know, they're pretty much worthless anywhere outside of Argentina.

Confirmed as of this week.

IF you declare the funds when leaving the AFIP will want to know if it is laundered money from Drugs or prostitution or its legal.

The AFIP regulations are in the Afip.gob.ar page. Adults up to $10K minors under 16 up to $5k

Con respecto al dinero, Echegaray recordó que “no se pueden sacar del país divisas por montos superiores a 10.000 dólares, salvo que se realice a través de entidades financieras y cambiarias con las autorizaciones correspondientes”. Este importe está vigente para mayores de 16 años o menores emancipados. Los viajeros menores de 16 años no emancipados pueden salir del territorio con un importe máximo de 5.000 dólares. Los pesos argentinos quedan exceptuados de esta limitación, pero igualmente debe declararlos en Aduana mediante un formulario, cuando el importe total a egresar sea igual o superior al equivalente a 10.000 dólares.

Confirmed as of this week.

People would want to take pesos to deposit them in their bank account in their country, which would do the conversion. There are permanent residents here who have accumulated pesos from dollar conversions but are unable to open up a bank account (due to employment regulations).

People would want to take pesos to deposit them in their bank account in their country, which would do the conversion. There are permanent residents here who have accumulated pesos from dollar conversions but are unable to open up a bank account (due to employment regulations).
Try cashing them anywhere, no one will take them. Don't you think every man and his dog would be doing it if they could?

Try cashing them anywhere, no one will take them. Don't you think every man and his dog would be doing it if they could?
I didn't say cash them. You can take them to your bank in the U.S and they will send them off to their back office for conversion, then deposit the money in dollars in your account. I don't know if the smaller banks offer this service, but the larger ones certainly do (especially in larger metropolitan areas) . I worked in a bank for 15 years and oversaw the process of this type of transaction weekly.
I'm returning to the US for a long stretch of time and would like to bring the pesos I have back with me, which why I posted the question about the amount you can bring back on the plane.

Tell me the name of the bank that's cashing them and I will be on the next plane along with everyone else on this board with suitcases full of pesos.

There was a thread about Wells Fargo. The manager said they would do exactly that with pretty much ANY currency. The OP then got a callback saying that they WOULD NOT take Argentine Pesos. They will take pretty much anything except for a few currencies and our good old friend Roca wasn't someonethey were willing to see in their vault.

Back