Pesos On The Plane Info.

Back to finding other uses for Argentine pesos ( Wall paper, toilet paper, mopping up cat piss).

Tell me the name of the bank that's cashing them and I will be on the next plane along with everyone else on this board with suitcases full of pesos.

Citibank has a service that exchanges foreign currency (most branches can do it), and do not charge a fee if it's over 1000.00 (equivalency US). It's not cashing it however. They take the currency, give you the estimate of what it will be in dollars (going by the rate on that day). Then the branch will send it off to get processed and you'll get the deposit into your account in a couple weeks. It's very common, especially in the big city as people have left over funds from returning abroad for vacations and living.

I'm certain they do Argentine pesos, unless something very recently has changed. I bought pesos through them and it was delivered to the branch before I came some time ago, so I don't see why they wouldn't exchange them back.

However keep in mind, if it's over 10k equivalency to U.S , you WILL need an explanation as that looks strange.....So I wouldn't bring a suitcase of pesos unless you sold a house or car here for cash and have a bill of sale : )

Citibank has a service that exchanges foreign currency (most branches can do it), and do not charge a fee if it's over 1000.00 (equivalency US). It's not cashing it however. They take the currency, give you the estimate of what it will be in dollars (going by the rate on that day). Then the branch will send it off to get processed and you'll get the deposit into your account in a couple weeks. It's very common, especially in the big city as people have left over funds from returning abroad for vacations and living.

I'm certain they do Argentine pesos, unless something very recently has changed. I bought pesos through them and it was delivered to the branch before I came some time ago, so I don't see why they wouldn't exchange them back.

However keep in mind, if it's over 10k equivalency to U.S , you WILL need an explanation as that looks strange.....So I wouldn't bring a suitcase of pesos unless you sold a house or car here for cash and have a bill of sale : )

That was probably before the Ks decided to restrict the purchase of foreign currency in Argentina. I can assure you that you could more easily exchange Guatemalan, heck even Jamaican dollars a lot easier than Argentine pesos. We're not just saying it.The problem is that because the purchase of any foreign currency with Argie money is restricted and because of the unstable environment, well... the risk is too high.

That was probably before the Ks decided to restrict the purchase of foreign currency in Argentina. I can assure you that you could more easily exchange Guatemalan, heck even Jamaican dollars a lot easier than Argentine pesos. We're not just saying it.The problem is that because the purchase of any foreign currency with Argie money is restricted and because of the unstable environment, well... the risk is too high.
Could be.....I'm not sure. I need to check into it with some friends in the U.S banks who can tell me for certain if they buy back the pesos or not.. When I bought the pesos from the bank, it was a little over a year ago. I can't imagine that there is no way to get the pesos converted back into dollars..(with the exception of those "wiring services" I'm hearing about). However it's looking more and more communist by the day so perhaps it's true, which mean pesos are really worthless outside B.A. (for now anyway).

TGNYC - I wasn't being snarky for that sake of it. I don't know any banks in the US that are currently accepting pesos. In fact, and this made me laugh while making me shake my head, I called Banco Nacion which has a branch in Miami to see if I could deposit pesos there to pay an invoice in Arg and they're not even taking them. So when the national bank of Argentina won't accept pesos outside of Argentina, that should tell you something.

So what I'm saying is you can certainly buy pesos in the US but the odds of you being able to sell them back are very, very, very low. IE - pretty much non-existent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

. I bought pesos through them and it was delivered to the branch before I came some time ago, so I don't see why they wouldn't exchange them back.

Really. Why in the world would you believe that? If yow wanted to buy a flaming bag of poop from me for $100 I'd be thrilled to sell it to you, if you then told me you'd sell it back to me for $100 or even $50 I'd say "hell no!", because in the end, I don't want a flaming bag of shit.

Weird enought this does work in Dublin, you can cash your pesos into Euros, and there is some other banks in Europe that do it as well, i have no clue how they do it or what they take of it, but they offer the oficial exchange rate, first i read it in the forum of Argentines in Ireland and i was no way this is real, then i went to check in person few weeks ago and is true, but i cannot understand what is the trap i really don-t get why they accept pesos for euros at oficial rate unless they are able to buy at that price. If i would have known before i would never had run into all the troubles to change my pesos into euros, now i don-t have any peso left to go there lol, still glad that i manage to convert my money to euros finally.

Weird enought this does work in Dublin, you can cash your pesos into Euros, and there is some other banks in Europe that do it as well, i have no clue how they do it or what they take of it, but they offer the oficial exchange rate, first i read it in the forum of Argentines in Ireland and i was no way this is real, then i went to check in person few weeks ago and is true, but i cannot understand what is the trap i really don-t get why they accept pesos for euros at oficial rate unless they are able to buy at that price. If i would have known before i would never had run into all the troubles to change my pesos into euros, now i don-t have any peso left to go there lol, still glad that i manage to convert my money to euros finally.

Perhaps they have a great demand for Arg Pesos en Dublin... :D Appreciate the name of the bank and branch location and/or phone number contact. May fly to Dublin from London soon,,,
Thanks

Weird enought this does work in Dublin, you can cash your pesos into Euros, and there is some other banks in Europe that do it as well ...

I'd be very curious as to which bank does this also.

I've tried a few times over the years to exchange pesos in Irish banks, generally receiving a blank stare, followed by an "Argentine Pesos are a 'closed currency'", and a polite refusal.

(I'm not at all questioning whether it happened, just very curious as to where!)

Back