Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Sour Cream

Phily cream cheese is usually at our Disco, on Paraguay in Palermo, but Mendi cream is a decent substitute and much cheaper. Have not seen sour cream, but you can make it by adding lemon juice to Casancream.
Nancy

Reactions: jb5
Most Cotos, Discos & Jumbos carry the Philadelphia brand cream cheese. Instead of paying through the nose for a north american brand cream cheese, we have found that Queso Crema by La Paulina is a worthy substitute and makes fabulous cheese cakes and dips.

Mendocreme is an OK substitute for sour cream, but I also like to use Queso Blanco by Tregar as a sour cream substitute on baked potatoes, in dips & cheescakes too. The taste isn;t an exact match to sour cream, but it does have a very similar texture.

Depending on the quantities of real vanilla extract you need, small amounts can be acquired in stores labeled Cotillon in your neighborhood. Larger amounts can be found in Barrio Chino at Casa China or even in zona Gastronomia in the San Cristobal neighborhood.

What are you making?

I think Mendi Crem is closer to sour cream and Casan Crem is closer to cream cheese. YMMV

How do I find the Armenian stores?

By vanilla I mean extract that's not imitation.

I am indeed trying to make a cheesecake. Some of our Argentine employees fell in love with Cheesecake Factory cheesecake while visiting US clients. If anyone has suggestions for how to get that dense cheesecake with local ingredients, I'd appreciate any tips.

If you go to a Coto look for Queso blanco,queso fresco or Quark .It comes in a tub and they usually keep it with the mendicremes and the mascarpone cheese. Thinking about it,mixing mascarpone into your cheese cake would be an excellent idea too. It is very creamy.

jb5 said:
Does anyone know where I cans find these? Also, what is the correct name for sour cream? Also seeking real vanilla.

Sometimes a simple question in the supermarket can do wonders;).

Wow, I stand corrected. Next time I head to the Coto near my office, I'll need to keep an eye out for the Philly. I guess I shop at all the wrong places.

i get philadelphia at the chineses the disco and the coto in recoleta :)

as far sourcream ..only way is to make your own...after many years finally found a really easy recipe for buenos aires which is
take two plastic containers of sancor doble crema (htey are the only ones that sell DOBLE CREMA) add one teaspon of white vineager one teaspoon of red vineager stir well ONCE and leave in a sealed glass jar for 28 hours on top of your refrigerator...do not touch move or inspect it during that time...when finished the 28 hours use or refrigerate it will be basically just like sour cream and will last about a week in fridge...and it works perfect for a philadelphia cheesecake.

I have never seen real vanilla here. I brought mine (both the vanilla sticks and the extract) from Europe.
Me too I would like to know if you can find it here.

Back