Pizza Update 2022

Ries

Registered
There are always a group of pizza complainers.
Me, I dont believe any pizza can be bad, I like all kinds, from Chicago to NYC, from Roma to Napoli, and even Argentine Pizza.
Everybody always says that all argentine pizza is bad.

This year, though, I have found several new (at least to me) pizzerias that are more global in their snappy pizza stylings, so I thought I would mention them. All but one are run by 100% Argentines. And they all defy the stereotypes.

Pizza Vino Soler - I first went to the one that is actually on Soler, near Scalabrini, about a year ago. Clean modern design, large selection (50 plus varieties) of decent wine, and wood fired italian style small pizzas with good ingredients. Real Buffalo Muzz, fresh albahaca, and a few jazzy choices like higos or proscuitto.
This is a standard for us these days, fast, made to order, and very good. There is now a second branch on Coronel Diaz and Santa Fe.

Bar Roma Abasto- The same group that has remodeled and updated Los Galgos, makes and markets La Fuerza vermouths, and has the La Fuerza vermouth bar on Dorrego took over this old fashioned neighborhood bar and pizzeria on Anchorena y San Luis. They did a light makeover- it still looks like a 60 year old neighborhood bar, but its clean and neat, and the artwork is more contemporary. Great ingredients, fresh veggies and good tomatoes, organic olive oil. Wood fired, made to order. More traditional argentine in the way the pizza is made, but one of the best I have had. They do pizzas, and empanadas. They do traditional, and modern. You will see families with kids, hipsters, old ladies doing the crossword puzzle, abuelos arguing with each other over politics- its very barrio, not trendy, and accomodating to everyone. But the food, and of course, the vermouth, is incredible. Everything is good, but I do profess a fondness for the doble masa fugazetta with 3 cebollas- red, green, and white, and 3 quesos- including queso azul. Its the bomb.
This is what Argentina was, and should be.

Electrica Pizza- Crazy vegetarian pizza of the future. Which means young people, in all their beauty, glory, arrogance, hipness, sincerity, and funk, run the place. Not white tablecloths- its all goth and punk and trans and pierced and tattooed, and its great. Hippies as interpreted by kids born after the year 2000. Julian Alvarez y Cabrera. They do it their way, like it or leave it. I will like it, for the pizzas, which, again, are thin italian style wood fired, made to order, really good organic ingredients, and, also, for the grilled ears of corn, the cauliflour with pesto, the faina with provoleta, all cooked in the pizza oven. Power Onion, Magic Mushroom, Zucchini and Potato pizzas. And they are all good.

Gordo Chanta- looks like another average neighborhood bar, on the corner of Darwin and Ramirez de Velasco, a block from Juan B Justo. Which is smack dab in the middle of the neigborhood where many new, interesting restaurants are. But it is not average or ordinary. Its incredible. Again, pizzas range from the familiar to the outrageous. There is one with blueberries on it. Amazing crusts. Combinations of fresh veggies, good meats, and I would order everything. They also do vegetables in the pizza oven, and they are divine. Great picadas. Good wine and beer and cocktails. We got there early (a bit before 8) and got a table, but nine to midnight, its hopping. The menu is centered around pizza, but includes a lot more, and its one of the best new restaurants in town, of any type. People are discovering it, and its taking off. I wanna go back right now.

Nuvola Pizza- we have been going to the one on Reconquista and Lavalle, but there is also one in Liniers, and I think there will be more. Real Naples style, run by an Italian. San Marziano tomatos, great crust, simple but perfect ingredients. Proscuitto crudo de Parma. Muzzarela de Bufula. Not expensive, not fancy, just real italian style pizzas. Busy at lunch, due to all the officeworkers, but usually easy to get a table.

I also have to put in the good word for the pizzas at Chui. Like everything at Chui, its organic, vegetarian, and one of the best things you have ever eaten. Chui is a magical garden in Villa Crespo, gourmet but chill. The chef and some of the staff came from the late, lamented, Proper. If you ever ate at Proper, you know. And you will like Chui.

None of these are dollar a slice New Jersey style peperoni. If thats what you crave, I suggest Jersey.

Last edited:
There are always a group of pizza complainers.
Me, I dont believe any pizza can be bad, I like all kinds, from Chicago to NYC, from Roma to Napoli, and even Argentine Pizza.
Everybody always says that all argentine pizza is bad.

This year, though, I have found several new (at least to me) pizzerias that are more global in their snappy pizza stylings, so I thought I would mention them. All but one are run by 100% Argentines. And they all defy the stereotypes.

Pizza Vino Soler - I first went to the one that is actually on Soler, near Scalabrini, about a year ago. Clean modern design, large selection (50 plus varieties) of decent wine, and wood fired italian style small pizzas with good ingredients. Real Buffalo Muzz, fresh albahaca, and a few jazzy choices like higos or proscuitto.
This is a standard for us these days, fast, made to order, and very good. There is now a second branch on Coronel Diaz and Santa Fe.

Bar Roma Abasto- The same group that has remodeled and updated Los Galgos, makes and markets La Fuerza vermouths, and has the La Fuerza vermouth bar on Dorrego took over this old fashioned neighborhood bar and pizzeria on Anchorena y San Luis. They did a light makeover- it still looks like a 60 year old neighborhood bar, but its clean and neat, and the artwork is more contemporary. Great ingredients, fresh veggies and good tomatoes, organic olive oil. Wood fired, made to order. More traditional argentine in the way the pizza is made, but one of the best I have had. They do pizzas, and empanadas. They do traditional, and modern. You will see families with kids, hipsters, old ladies doing the crossword puzzle, abuelos arguing with each other over politics- its very barrio, not trendy, and accomodating to everyone. But the food, and of course, the vermouth, is incredible. Everything is good, but I do profess a fondness for the doble masa fugazetta with 3 cebollas- red, green, and white, and 3 quesos- including queso azul. Its the bomb.
This is what Argentina was, and should be.

Electrica Pizza- Crazy vegetarian pizza of the future. Which means young people, in all their beauty, glory, arrogance, hipness, sincerity, and funk, run the place. Not white tablecloths- its all goth and punk and trans and pierced and tattooed, and its great. Hippies as interpreted by kids born after the year 2000. Julian Alvarez y Cabrera. They do it their way, like it or leave it. I will like it, for the pizzas, which, again, are thin italian style wood fired, made to order, really good organic ingredients, and, also, for the grilled ears of corn, the cauliflour with pesto, the faina with provoleta, all cooked in the pizza oven. Power Onion, Magic Mushroom, Zucchini and Potato pizzas. And they are all good.

Gordo Chanta- looks like another average neighborhood bar, on the corner of Darwin and Ramirez de Velasco, a block from Juan B Justo. Which is smack dab in the middle of the neigborhood where many new, interesting restaurants are. But it is not average or ordinary. Its incredible. Again, pizzas range from the familiar to the outrageous. There is one with blueberries on it. Amazing crusts. Combinations of fresh veggies, good meats, and I would order everything. They also do vegetables in the pizza oven, and they are divine. Great picadas. Good wine and beer and cocktails. We got there early (a bit before 8) and got a table, but nine to midnight, its hopping. The menu is centered around pizza, but includes a lot more, and its one of the best new restaurants in town, of any type. People are discovering it, and its taking off. I wanna go back right now.

Nuvola Pizza- we have been going to the one on Reconquista and Lavalle, but there is also one in Liniers, and I think there will be more. Real Naples style, run by an Italian. San Marziano tomatos, great crust, simple but perfect ingredients. Proscuitto crudo de Parma. Muzzarela de Bufula. Not expensive, not fancy, just real italian style pizzas. Busy at lunch, due to all the officeworkers, but usually easy to get a table.

I also have to put in the good word for the pizzas at Chui. Like everything at Chui, its organic, vegetarian, and one of the best things you have ever eaten. Chui is a magical garden in Villa Crespo, gourmet but chill. The chef and some of the staff came from the late, lamented, Proper. If you ever ate at Proper, you know. And you will like Chui.

None of these are dollar a slice New Jersey style peperoni. If thats what you crave, I suggest Jersey.

Thanks for your informed data on new pizza gourmet eateries ...!
Tried the Pizza Vino Soler , at Coronel Diaz, for their wood fired oven .
The Pizza Margarita my favourite was baked, A la Piedra, very thin crust , not to repeat.
The waiter mentioned the tomato paste was imported from Italy as well as the burrata ..? $1600 for a 4 slice pizza.

As you mentioned the Hoboken, (N. Jersey), peperoni pizza wasn't all that bad. The story goes that the topless pizzaiolo throws the dow in the air and hits his sweaty back with it...! providing the Special salty flavour to the finished pizza..!!

A bit far from Caminito, but this Argentine expat owned pizzeria in Seattle is about as close as you can get in these parts to real fugazetta.

Back