Pizza Update 2022

As a native Detroiter, Togni's has a pretty good deep dish square, not far off from a Buddy's. Demone up in Nuñes has been pretty good too for a Napoletana pizza.

As a native Detroiter, Togni's has a pretty good deep dish square, not far off from a Buddy's. Demone up in Nuñes has been pretty good too for a Napoletana pizza.

I was waiting for someone to mention Chicago style deepdish. Always good to piss off the New Yorkers (which is a worthy goal in and of itself)

Seriously, some great suggestions here. My gratitude to you all!

We tried Data last night. Meh...
The crust looked great, but was very bland. Not sourdough enough, not enough salt.
The whole place had the feel of a test version of a big chain- everything was brand new, expensive, and designed for a few dozen locations.
They probably spent a $100k USD just on the build out- all new commercial SS equipment, gigantic custom cosmetic enclosure for the auto igniting pizza oven, expensive purchase to kitchen computer system with the employees being told on screens what to make next. Brand new high end sound system playing a prerecorded playlist of happy techno cumbia, employees wearing special logo t shirts.
Nobody would spend this much money on all the architecture and graphic design and kitchen consultants for one location.
Pizza was decent, but far from as good as several of the ones I mentioned above.
It was production line, made by people who are not chefs.
And, interestingly enough, only a few hundred pesos cheaper than, say, Electrica, which has much better crust, ingredients, and personal service by actual cocineros.
This is something I often see in Argentina- if you discard the outliers- super cheap like UGI, or super expensive like Osaka, the vast middle ground of restaurants usually are in the same price range, regardless of quality or service.
You can get mediocre parilla and an iceberg only salad with frozen papas fritas from a 20kg bag for about the same price per diner as Corte Comedor or Chui or Nino Gordo.

Weird.

Excellent report. Thank you for trying it so we don't have to.

The biggest thing I am seeing is that the difference in price between cooking at home and eating out is widening at high speed. I can literally buy 3 portions of bife de chorizo at my local butcher shop for the cost of a decent single cheeseburger and fries at Perez H. And the cheeseburger is junior sized. Every time I eat out, I feel bad about it.

I would suggest a Pizza Margarita in Alto Palermo New food Court called BASE on the third level . Self Service , a revelation.

Pizza Alto Palermo.jpg

i finally made my way over to Togni's today and tried the square with pepperoni and pickled jalapenos. excellent pizza, and i'd say the pepperoni they use is the best i've had in the city.

I have enjoyed the pizzas at Santos on Maipu and Piola on Libertad. Not a traditional NY style crust but also not a deep dish crust. Baked quickly and I have found it delicious at both places. I found a black crust pizza that was not to my liking but they are popular and I guess have a couple of places. Nuvola Centro.

Back