Please Help! I'm Struggling With Residency Process :-(

I just went through this and my wife is at the moment. So here are the steps:

# Get the FBI record itself
* Download 2 fingerprint forms and find an approved agency here in Argentina (we did it in the US, where you can go to almost any UPS store for this, at least in California) to help you do the fingerprints and put in their certification that they are eligible to help you with that. I don't know which agency here can help, I would have thought the US embassy, but if they are redirecting you, oh well. Do 2 fingerprint forms so that you dont lose time if one of them was done wrong and gets rejected by the FBI/FBI channeler
* Once you have the fingerprint forms, mail them to an FBI approved channeler along with their forms. They will help you get the FBI record much faster than the FBI itself. With them, it takes less than one week (as opposed to a couple months through the FBI). Here is a list of channelers from the FBI site: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers
* Best to have someone in the US help you with receiving the documents, because you will be mailing things back and forth and you dont want to take the lag through Argentina

# Get the apostilled authentication from the US Dept of State
* Once you have the FBI record (either from the FBI or the FBI channeler), then fill out form DS-4194 (google it), attach a check for $8 for "US Department of State", the FBI record you just received, and a prepaid self-addressed envelope to where you want to receive the apostille. Then mail it to: Authentication Office, US Dept of State, 1150 Passport Services Place, 6th Floor, Dulles, VA 20189 and use a trackable form of shipping. Don't use the Washington DC address as that is for in-person requests (or at least call them to double check -- I sent it to the Washington DC address and it took forever)
* If all goes well, after 10 business days, their response should be coming in the mail, and you can have your friend forward that to you here in Argentina.

# Get it translated and voila! Ghost's recommendations above are as good as any.

Aside from the fingerprint taking, I don't think there is any benefit from being in the US. You still have to wait for the paperwork and with the Authentication Office it can take its time

Hello Johnny,
Thanks for this response.

I'm going through the process as well and wanted to confirm whether Argentina did accept the FBI report obtained from an approved Channeler?
Supposedly the document the channeler provides is not exactly the same from the one obtained directly from the FBI, so I just wanted to make sure Argentina didn't give you any trouble for the difference in the report?

One of the FBI approved channelers I contacted said the difference in their report is where the seal is located, which is on the center of the page versus the FBI-direct that has a smaller seal and it’s towards the bottom center of the report by the signature.

Many thanks,
Gil

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The FBI report from the channeler is not really what makes the document legit here, but the authentication from the US Department of State. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I was not aware that there was a difference in seal position, but I'm surprised to hear that, because our FBI report (processed through the channeler) has the signature of FBI Section Chief of the Biometrics Section Chief. The report has 2 FBI seals: 1 small on the top left in full ink, and the 1 big one in the center as a watermark[/background]

When you get your fingerprints done, make sure that they know to ROLL your fingers, and not just dab your finger (be it in ink or that electronic machine, if they have it)...

Hi everyone.....I'm in desperate need of help with the temporary residency process. I have a friend from Bolivia that helped me with some initial steps (I speak very little Spanish,) but now I'm lost. The US embassy gave me a fingerprint card and a web address for the FBI to obtain my Good Conduct Certificate for Argentina residency. They told me to mail it to the FBI from Buenos Aires? Really? It seems like there must be a better way?

I'm still laughing at the "there must be a better way" part. I have no idea why anyone would be under the impression that there would be a "better way".

Cracks... me... up...

You've got a LOT of learning ahead of you.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The FBI report from the channeler is not really what makes the document legit here, but the authentication from the US Department of State. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I was not aware that there was a difference in seal position, but I'm surprised to hear that, because our FBI report (processed through the channeler) has the signature of FBI Section Chief of the Biometrics Section Chief. The report has 2 FBI seals: 1 small on the top left in full ink, and the 1 big one in the center as a watermark[/background]

That's local. The apostille make it valid worldwide.

Hey all - Im trying to get my fingerprints done here, but it seems like one of the requirements on the form is the originating agency identifier number. Does anyone know how to find that, or if it's actually required? I'd have to imagine the FPA doesn't have one of these numbers for the US FBI.

Update: the police station on santa fe by plaza italia wont give you fingerprints unless you have a hard stock fingerprint form from the US embassy. Though based on the comments above, I imagine this is one of those "the answer changes depending on who you talk to" situations.

Back