Please Help - Old Dni - Trip To Us

I missed my appointment for the new DNI yesterday because of an emergency at work. I have a permanent residency/non-mercosur old booklet dni. I'm supposed to be traveling with my son to visit family in California in July. From everything I see, the old booklet will no longer be valid after June 30, and you won't be able to exit the country without the new dni.

I'm sure I could get another appointment before mid-July, but not sure the DNI would get to me on time.

Is there any way to pay and expedite the process?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to be legally prohibited from leaving the country from June 30th until they mail me the new DNI?

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I'd be supremely appreciative.

(I'm in capital, as is the address in my old dni).

Go to the DNM website. There go to "segui el estado de tu tramite".
There you fill it with your info (the file number is in your dni) and then go to see online documents. There you have the administrative act that gave you the permanent residency. This is all what you need to re enter the country without any hassle.

Go to the DNM website. There go to "segui el estado de tu tramite".
There you fill it with your info (the file number is in your dni) and then go to see online documents. There you have the administrative act that gave you the permanent residency. This is all what you need to re enter the country without any hassle.

That makes perfect sense, but reentering the country isn't the question here. The question is about not being allowed to leave the country with an old DNI....

And if migraciones start enforcing this "regulation" after June 30th, is there any way to circumvent it?

The official FAQ sure makes it seems that way.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/index_mobile.php?faq
  • 2 - Sirve el DNI bordó (o marrón) manuscrito para extranjeros para egresar del país?
Sí; el DNI marrón o bordó manuscrito vigente (ya sea que tenga una residencia temporaria o permanente) es válido hasta el 30/06/2015 (Resolución ReNaPer N° 3.117/14).​

1. 24 - SALIDA DEL PAÍS CON EL DNI NUEVO EN TRÁMITE
La constancia de DNI en trámite NO es documento hábil para egresar del país.​

You cannot leave the country with the old DNI, but you can do it with your passport.

Sure, use your passport.

Thanks, that's precisely what muddy-waters wanted to know (for sure).

In other words, if a foreigner with temporary or permanent residency leaves the country with a passport after June 30th, it won't matter if their DNI is the old version (?).

That raises another question: Can all foreigners with temporary or permanent residency exit the country without a passport, presenting an "acceptable" DNI, or can only those with Mercosur citizenship do this? I remember a question once asked by an individual from the USA asking if it was possible to go to (and return from) Colonia with only their DNI, but I don't remember the answer.

I missed my appointment for the new DNI yesterday because of an emergency at work. I have a permanent residency/non-mercosur old booklet dni. I'm supposed to be traveling with my son to visit family in California in July. From everything I see, the old booklet will no longer be valid after June 30, and you won't be able to exit the country without the new dni.

I'm sure I could get another appointment before mid-July, but not sure the DNI would get to me on time.

Is there any way to pay and expedite the process?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to be legally prohibited from leaving the country from June 30th until they mail me the new DNI?

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I'd be supremely appreciative.

(I'm in capital, as is the address in my old dni).

I just exited Argentina a month ago, and two days before traveling, I had lost my DNI. I simply went to immigrations at Ezeiza and explained the situation. Immigrations gave me a white piece of paper that explains that I am a resident that lasts for 90 days. I had no problems exiting Argentina, and in a few days I will be traveling back. I'm sure I won't have issues getting back in since my DNI number is written into my passport, and I have that piece of paper. They should have you in the system. I would just get to the airport early, go to immigrations, show the book, and very politely ask if they can give you some other kind of info that shows you are a resident. At first, they told me to just go through with my passport alone as is, but I explained the airlines would give me grief, so then they printed off that piece of paper and signed it. It's basically just a 90 day thing that is stamped and says you are officially a permanent resident. Just get to the airport a little early and don't worry too much.

All of the theories are technically correct. Now you have to put two tickets on the line as to whether or not the airport clown is truly versed in the law. My money says NO! [speaking from experience here]

I just exited Argentina a month ago, and two days before traveling, I had lost my DNI. I simply went to immigrations at Ezeiza and explained the situation. Immigrations gave me a white piece of paper that explains that I am a resident that lasts for 90 days. I had no problems exiting Argentina, and in a few days I will be traveling back. I'm sure I won't have issues getting back in since my DNI number is written into my passport, and I have that piece of paper. They should have you in the system. I would just get to the airport early, go to immigrations, show the book, and very politely ask if they can give you some other kind of info that shows you are a resident. At first, they told me to just go through with my passport alone as is, but I explained the airlines would give me grief, so then they printed off that piece of paper and signed it. It's basically just a 90 day thing that is stamped and says you are officially a permanent resident. Just get to the airport a little early and don't worry too much.

Muddy_waters is facing a different issue. He has a DNI that will be "obsolete" as of June 30th unless there is another extension of the deadline. His present booklet style DNI "proves" that he has permanent residency. Though it would not "hurt" to have a certificate of residency issued by migraciones the day of his flight, I wonder if it would make any difference.

I also wonder if migraciones grants temporary or permanent residency to citizens of Mercosur countries that don't have a passport. If so, is the regulation aimed at them?

Assuming that a temporary or permanent non-mercosur resident who wants to leave Argentina has a valid passport from their home country, does the resolution actually prohibit them from leaving if they don't have a new DNI?

This (quoted from muddy_helmet's post) only indicates that the "constancia" (receipt) that shows the application for the new DNI is being processed will not be accepted when leaving the country (and implies the old booklet won't be accepted, either):​
:
  1. 24 - SALIDA DEL PAÍS CON EL DNI NUEVO EN TRÁMITE
La constancia de DNI en trámite NO es documento hábil para egresar del país.

Based on Dr. Rubliar's post, a valid passport should "trump" this resolution, but I'd want to be absolutely sure before buying the tickets. Going to migraciones at the airport and getting a certificate of residency might not make any difference in this case.

They decided to set me up for my new dni today even though I missed the appointment on Friday. The supervisor said to take the constancia de tramite to the airport when I go. He indicated the same thing everyone here has said as far as leaving with the US passport, not the DNI. It certainly makes the most sense. That said, this February in Ezeiza, the migraciones officer literally told me: "you will not be able to leave the country with this after June", at which point I clarified and confirmed what she was saying. This was while she handed my passport and DNI back to me, after clearing me to leave the country. Years ago I almost made the mistake of thinking my son could leave with a valid US passport coupled with a valid DNI, so I was not doubtful of what she said.

Maybe she was just trying to scare me into renewing it on time? In any case, it should be here before we leave. Thanks again to everyone for their concern and help.

For each and every "official" you encounter there will be a different interpretation of law and logic.

Back