Politically Correctness And Racism In Argentina

Coming from San Francisco I was sick to death of the PC stuff. I feel a lot of that is actually elitist and separatist not to mention super uptight and annoying. However, some of the racist stuff I've heard here has made my stomach turn. I suppose either end of the racist/PC spectrum isn't great and as with most things the healthy area is the middle ground.

So Cliven Bundy (http://tinyurl.com/qefkmgh) and Donald Sterling (http://tinyurl.com/m5mhh5a) are just misunderstood victims of PC-motivated propaganda, then...

You'll get used to the gallegos, tanos, yankees, negros turkos, chinos comments. My suggestions is not to take people too seriously. Try to maintain a sense of humor.

Words of wisdom, in general terms, anywhere in the world. If nothing else, you'll avoid stress in your life :D

People have a lot of nasty racist feelings here and there's little or no PC culture here as opposed to the US.

The definitions we use in the US for "racism" and what "culture" is, cannot be extrapolated to another country expecting the local population to behave and follow the very same restrictions and liberties we have.

This country developed under a different language, different historical circumstances, different immigration patters, even the extermination of the local population at the time of the conquest and colonization, and the wars with its neighbors had different dynamics, making this country (and every country) a society different than the one we grow up in the US.

Are there some comments that don't sound right for me here? Sure, but to say that there's no culture as oppose to the US? Com'on, we live in a multicultural planet and as such let's open our minds to that reality.

The definitions we use in the US for "racism" and what "culture" is, cannot be extrapolated to another country expecting the local population to behave and follow the very same restrictions and liberties we have.

This country developed under a different language, different historical circumstances, different immigration patters, even the extermination of the local population at the time of the conquest and colonization, and the wars with its neighbors had different dynamics, making this country (and every country) a society different than the one we grow up in the US.

Are there some comments that don't sound right for me here? Sure, but to say that there's no culture as oppose to the US? Com'on, we live in a multicultural planet and as such let's open our minds to that reality.

Beautifully well said, three cheers. We all need to be reminded, at times, that our own home culture is not a valid benchmark for the whole planet.

I don't advocate PC for the sake of PC. If you misunderstood me well, too bad. I hate empty PC as much as the next guy. I don't expect Argentina to be like the US, in fact I wanted change I wanted different and I came here. That said, I will never advocate racism. Ever.

Since PC is now so established in North America it would make sense for some of the more PC Adept members to offer courses in PC to Argentines travelling to the US.

Sylabus:

PC Regulation 1, although you might here the "N-word" a lot in the media, music, movies, etc. if you are NOT black you are NOT allowed to use that word.

If we were to adapt this to Argentina, we would say that only North American's can use the word "Yanqui" which henceforth will be referred to by non-North American's as the "Y-word".

But it's important to remember that PC is not just about race, it encompassed everything, sex, sexuality, and also any characteristics that in past might be considered not in the norm, e.g. you are not allowed to use the word "retarded" for a retarded person. The acceptable term was mentally handicapped which I think is currently out of favor and now we are suppose to use "mentally challenged". It all a big bowl of bollocks....

There are definitely some very racist people here in Argentina, but I personally think it is worse in my own country. People here actually often talk like they are racists, but when push comes to shove, they actually aren't. You can hear racist jokes about Chinos or Bolivianos, but then the same people turn around and treat them both as equals. In my own country, there are lots of people like Donald Sterling who are deviants and try to pass themselves off as great human beings, but deep down they are full of hatred. There's definitely some of that here, but to me it seems far less sinister and more innocent than anything else.

Back