Poll: Which will kill more Argentines: the COV-19 Virus or the Quarantine?

Which will kill more Argentines: the Virus or the Quarantine in the next two years?

• The Corona Virus

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • The Quarantine

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • About the Same

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
Coronavirus could spark a financial crisis for struggling countries, Singapore’s trade minister warns

“What we are concerned is that, if we are not careful, some of the countries might get into a financial crisis beyond a health crisis, beyond a economic crisis,” Chan said.

“Because if you can’t have a healthy fiscal balance, you need to borrow. If you can’t borrow, then you need to print money. If you print money, you’re going to debase your currency, and that’s going to be very serious on the stability of the entire global financial system, leading to real impact on the real economy,” he added.

Many more might die of hunger or violence due to civil and economic unrest than by the Corona Virus itself.

Please be sure to post again from your ventilator so we can hear more about abstract social issues when you're dying from Coronavirus because you objected to a period of universal stay-at-home during the pandemic.

This is funny but what do you think will happen when Argentina decides to arbitrarily lift the quarantine after conducting less than 20,000 tests

Testing has to be a priority if the government (any of them) is going to make good decisions. Then there needs to be a plan to reopen the economy slowly, keeping severe cases under the number of ICU beds/ventilators. My point is, lifting the shelter in place too soon or maintaining it at this level for too long are both huge mistakes. Who can say if we don't know how many people are infected?

Who can say if we don't know how many people are infected?

You don't go with the coronavirus for life. It is not like AIDS. Within 14 days you get sick (to a different degree) and recover or die. 28 days is sufficient time for all infected people to get sick and recover. If people will be getting infected after that that means they did not follow the quarantine in the first place. Why extend it then?

You don't go with the coronavirus for life. It is not like AIDS. Within 14 days you get sick (to a different degree) and recover or die. 28 days is sufficient time for all infected people to get sick and recover. If people will be getting infected after that that means they did not follow the quarantine in the first place. Why extend it then?

To ensure the medical system doesn't collapse (severe cases > ICU beds/ventilators). My girlfriend and I comply with the quarantine, only going into public to go to the grocery store and pharmacy, which we do as infrequently as possible. We are still exposed, but it will take a longer amount of time (on average) to contract the disease. If everybody does this, the hospitals will be able to cope with the severe cases. As people continue to develop immunity "or die" and the economy should be slowly reopened to continue exposing people who have good probabilities of surviving which is increased by having hospital beds available should they develop a severe case. I advocate more testing so policymakers can make better decisions as to how quickly to reopen. If the hospitals are empty, let's greatly reduce the restrictions. They can always be re-implemented.

... but it will take a longer amount of time (on average) to contract the disease ..

I guess you don't consider the synchronization part. All the country is on lockdown at the same time.
Say, absolutely everyone stayed home for a month and didn't get out at all. And after that, everything was disinfected.
You go outside on the first day of the next month. Whom do you get infected from? From a bat?

I live/visit a small town on route 40. I understand it is a frequent stop for truckers from Osorno, Chile who are apparently exempt from the closed border. Our landlord says there is no way for the local supermarket to differentiate between them and actual residents. While this is anecdotal, apparently Osorno is a hotspot. If this is true, I am sure this is happening all over Argentina. Even with a secure border, there are new cases from within that will manifest themselves as there are still many (essential) people that go to work and interact with the public. I just advocate managing the amount of cases to stay below a critical level, which is why I do advocate slowly reopening the economy so that there are options for infection apart from bats. That is a sentence that I never thought I'd type in my life, but I guess there is a lot of that going on these days.

In the provincia of Chubut there are no cases of Coronavirus atm and I have heard that the quarantine will be relaxed there next month if this continues . The timebomb of cases are in large cities unfortunately and if every country in the world the major capitals are much more affected than small towns . After this is all over properties in the countryside will look very enticing as people from large cities will decide that life there is too risky .

Argentina does so little testing that it's really hard to believe there are only 1500 cases. And when Argentina arbitrarily lifts the quarantine in the middle of winter, coronavirus will come roaring through el interior

16.5 million Americans out of work. Just imagine what the number is in Argentina if the country could actually maintain reliable statistics.

Back