Polvo Para Hornear - Directions

Girino

Registered
Yet again I come out defeated against polvo para hornear. In Italy we simply have lievito per dolci, usually sold in small sachets of 12 g each.

Here I bought polvo para hornear, I use twice the dose of the recipe, and the thing doesn't lift. Ever.

I just finished baking a less than one inch tall cake which was supposed to be 2,5" tall. I tried buying polvo para hornear from another place in case it was a matter of quality, but the results are the same.

So, what's the suggested dose?

I bought it suelto at a local shop. One was a generic drugstore, the other was a pastry store.

I use Polvo Para Hornear in recipes the same amount as I've used for Baking Soda in the US. The only time I've had anything not rise was when I didn't have the oven preheated and ready to slide the pan right into the oven. Since it's used for the bubbles in baking, the longer it sits before baking, the less fluffly. Another trick is to whip the batter a little longer so that you add more bubbles manually if the recipe can handle more beating time (1-2 more minutes), making sure to lift air into the batter.

I use the Glutal brand, purchased at a dietetica on Bulnes just north of Santa Fe.

For this and other starch based products, I buy in a package rather than buying bulk. Exposure to humidity reduces the chemical ability of this and sodium bicarbonate.

I confess I can not answer the question because I never measure when I cook.
I bought some polvo para hornear a while back but had not gotten around to any baking. Your post prompted me to try some pancakes. Worked just fine with the same general amounts of things I always use. Perhaps you package was too old or expired?
Maybe test it ?

Thanks for your reply.
From my research so far, what we call lievito per dolci is the equivalent of baking powder, while baking soda is bicarbonato di sodio. I don't know if their effect is 1:1.
The oven was hot and I beat everything with a kitchen machine, so I believe the preparation was okay (not any different from what I have always been doing).

I also found recipe for some do-it-yourself baking powder:
100 g di cremortartaro
70 g di bicarbonato di sodio alimentare
30 g di amido di mais (oppure di fecola di patate)

Perhaps you package was too old or expired?
Maybe test it ?

I bought and used the polvo right away, both times.
How can I test it without wasting a whole cake each time?

First time I made flat muffins :( , now a flat cake (it does have a bump on a side, though :( :(

Where can I find it in package? My small carrefour doesn't have it, but I am going to the one in Vicente Lopez tomorrow, there I should be able to find whatever I need for baking.

Package I bought was 50g (enough for a few cakes) at my local coto. add a couple drops of lemon juice to a pinch of the powder, its should fizz.

I bought and used the polvo right away, both times.
How can I test it without wasting a whole cake each time?

First time I made flat muffins :( , now a flat cake (it does have a bump on a side, though :( :(

Where can I find it in package? My small carrefour doesn't have it, but I am going to the one in Vicente Lopez tomorrow, there I should be able to find whatever I need for baking.
You find it next to the cake mixes and baking items, baking chocolate, coconut, vanilla.

Back