Porteños and 'cold'

It's about how you react to temperature more than what you're used to. Still, the second counts. I suffer temperatures above 28 C. I hate the summer. Women wearing next to nothing is my only comfort. Cold, I can't get enough. I wish the they will come when I'll wear a scarf in BA. I hope I live to see it. I remember a winter day in Boston with a temperature about -5 C. I was walking down the street feeling so happy (I was wearing the kind of jacket we call campera and gloves but no scarf) when I came across a Norwegian friend of mine. He was a great guy, lively fella. He wore a jean and a t-shirt. He looked happy, too. I stared at him and said:

_ "Don't you feel the cold?"

_"Of course I feel the cold!"

_"Where's your jacket?

_"At my place".

_Shouldn't you be wearing it?"

_"I wear it when I feel the cold".

So I went on enjoying the cold day, and he went on enjoying the day. :)

I think they have different body temperatures. Very little air conditioning in summer and too much heat in winter. I was at a dinner once, wearing the required suit. I was mopping my forehead with a handkerchief. The ac was hardly working but a woman asked that the ac be turned DOWN because she felt cold! On buses they keep the windows closed even when it is stuffy. Very uncomfortable.

sergio said:
I think they have different body temperatures.

Agree with that.

When in Belgium the temperature goes above 20 one day, everyone puts on their shorts and t shirts. When temperature drops just under 20° here, everyone puts on their boots.

I am more like the Argentine type. Constantly freezing in belgium (well you can hardly wear winter clothes in summer, can you?) where as here I hardly ever put on the AC...

And yes, I am now wearing winter clothes! :D

Depends how long you are here I think! Like fifs, I have been acclimated. When it drops below 20, I'm COLD!. And I grew up in upstate NY where winters were truly cold (think -17 or -18 C). And I never really felt it. Now that I'm living here, can't handle and can't stand the cold at all!

argsteve said:
A very funny post.... I am always amazed at the jackets gloves and scarfs even on the crowded trains, buses and subways...I will be suffering in a short sleeve shirt with no air and so hot and stuffy... everyone else is dressed for the Arctic..... it is a wild scene!!
I went to Havanna yesterday to have a coffee and I noticed the same. Scarfs, sweaters, coats like they were all freezing. I was sweating and asked the girl if she could turn the a/c on. Received strange looks like I was from the moon.

Not quite off subject, but what is it with dogs? They are built with fur coats, they cross the artic no problems. Yet here they dress them up in anoraks when the temperature drops below 20.
The poor things must be suffering no end. No wonder they shit everywhere, I think I would if I were that hot.:D

Depends how long you are here I think! Like fifs, I have been acclimated. When it drops below 20, I'm COLD!. And I grew up in upstate NY where winters were truly cold (think -17 or -18 C). And I never really felt it. Now that I'm living here, can't handle and can't stand the cold at all!
It has also a lot to do with the infrastructure of the country. I live in Vienna at the moment where last winter we got -15. But because of the low temperatures every year the city is well prepared for it, i mean the heating systems are top quality in every house.

So here with freezing cold temperatures my appartemnt is allways warm and nice, while in BA, even with the heating on and maybe a 10 degree temperature outside i have to sleep with 5 blankets :D.

I admit however that my concept of what cold is has chaged drastically. I now laugh when i speak with my brother with skype and he tells me something like "its cold, 17 degrees." :D

Being from Florida, I understand these people :) But they might be the only ones who are even more dramatic about the cold than Floridians (it was a weird moment being in an overheated mall, sweating to death and stripping off layers, while dozens of locals milled around me, happily swathed in scarves, sweaters, winter coats.)

Actually, I suspect that their intolerance to arctic chill is the real reason why my only Argentine classmate at NYU transferred after just one semester... to sunny Arizona :D

I agree that it's that bizarre reptilian constitution. All I hear from the wife (an Argentina) is, "Frio, frio," when it dips below 22 degrees.

I just wish it was understood that, when it's cold outside, you'll be dressed for the cold - please keep the indoor temperature at a level to accommodate that. When I'm comfortable outside, I'm dying in a shop or restaurant. Layers, layers.

Back