Porteños and 'cold'

No tolerance for heat in their food, no tolerance for cold in the air. There is no pleasing these people. :(

I think the reason why people wear heavy clothes even when its isn't cold is because of the season. We are in autumn, and people will wear coats unless it's 30 C outside.

All these things about body temperature, I don't think it plays a big role.

And the second important factor is, as was said, what you are used to.

Interestingly enough, there are exceptions to this: I have a Bulgarian friend (she's from Sofia), who has lived here in BA since at least 5 years ago, and she says that she suffers the cold here terribly. Could you believe it? Sofia has averages in January of 2C/ -5C, whereas BA in July 15C / 7C. She just says that here there's a lot of humidity and so she feels the cold much more.

I personally love the cold. And, Hache, there are times where you would need to wear a scarf in BA. I know, very few (usually in a windy winter moring), but there are.

I can't stand this city's heat, and when it's cold it's so relaxing! I hope this winter is like 2007!

Cheers,

Have you tried a light box Lee? I used to have to crawl out of bed to turn it on in the morning, but after 15 mins basking in its glow I felt great. Talking about British winters here...

"Lo que mata es la humedad" "What kills is the humidity".

This phrase represents BA. And it is true. In winter, that little cold here get into your bones, in summer, the walls of your house exude water.

Lee said:
I hope you do not get your wish! Sorry but I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I get very depressed during the winter season. The colder it gets the worse my depression.

Perhaps I am not the only one!

I'm sorry for you... well, I wouldn't say I have summer SAD, but certainly have a tendency toward that direction when it's hot. Especially the thing about heightened anxiety... the heat tends to produce anxiety in me, whereas the cold tends to lower it and makes me feel relaxed.

Still, I manage to live my life pretty normally in summer, so that's why I say I don't suffer from SAD.

I hope you don't suffer this winter as much...

Lee said:
I hope you do not get your wish! Sorry but I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I get very depressed during the winter season. The colder it gets the worse my depression.

Perhaps I am not the only one!

I think I do too. I die in the summer, I don't leave my house. I keep the lights off, the airconditioning on 20. I wish it would stay call cold all year round. You can always put on more clothes in winter, in summer you can't take off more than you have on.

Back