Power Outages anyone???

No power in my house in San Telmo. Had to work early hours so went to Starbucks… and unlike all power sockets in my house and other places I’ve been, there’s none where I can plug the european one.

Where do they usually sell adapters here? Supermarkets? Ferreterías?
Yes to ferreterias as well as electrical supply shops and most stores with a ton of lamps on display in (or that can be seen through) the front windows.

Ask for one of these:

Yes to ferreterias as well as electrical supply shops and most stores with a ton of lamps on display in (or that can be seen through) the front windows.

Ask for one of these:

Also, at Alto Palermo Mall, Sta, Fe entrance, sidewalk vendors..

I cannot understate the comfort of having an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) as a backup for low-consumption/high-importance electronics such as your router, especially when working from home. I wanted to mention this in this thread.
Indeed! Or a powerbank and a sim card with enough data. Coverage map shows Personal having decent 5G coverage in BA.

I cannot understate the comfort of having an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) as a backup for low-consumption/high-importance electronics such as your router, especially when working from home. I wanted to mention this in this thread.
I guess, during the power outage, Fibertel equipment in your building will be down. So, no wired internet, unless you are connected directly to the street cable. Why would you need a working router, then? For internal network?

I have two UPS's in my home.

I use a plug strip to connect my laptop and my router and a lamp with a 5w LED llightbulb, sd well as a Bose series II Sounddock.

When, on very rare occasions, the power is off, the USB kicks in instantly.

I immediately disconnect the lapotp from the power supply so as not to drain the battery in the USB so quickly.

I finish any work I have in progress and then turn off the laptop and the UPS

My router still works with the USB, as I am not hard wired to the internet,

I have an antena on the roof of my home (which is actually a house) that receives the wifi signal from a nearby tower. Fortunately, the wifi signal has never been affected by a power outage in my neighborhood.

Below are current ML pubications for the exact same model of the UPS's I have been using for abuout five years:

The lowest priced unit as of this morning:

The highest price unit as of this morning:

It obviously "pays" to compare prices before making a purchase.

The alarm system for my house is connected to the second UPS, but the only times it has ever been "activated" have been when I tested it using the "panic" button. 🤠

Last edited:
I guess, during the power outage, Fibertel equipment in your building will be down. So, no wired internet, unless you are connected directly to the street cable. Why would you need a working router, then? For internal network?
This certainly would have been the case for both of my apartments in the city, as my internet was hard wired to them and I didn't need to use a router.

I never considered having a UPS then, though having one would have been useful during a power outage in my PH in Nuñez, to connect a lamp to provide some light in the living room, even during the day, as it was a bit on the "cavernous" side.

Having the UPS's here, however is essential, even though they are rarely needed for backup power.

Power outages here are so rare that, at least thus far, I could get by without them, but they do provide "short term"peace of mind.

For long term peace of mind, a solar backup system is required.

Here is one example of a "complete" (but relatively small) system.

Additional batteries would be required to increase the power storage.

Last edited:
Additional batteries would be required to increase the power storage.

Speaking of additonal batteries, as power outages are rare where I am, and solar systems (especially the batteries) are quite expensive, the cheapest alternative for back up power to keep a laptop running for about five hours after the power is cut and the battery in my laptop runs out, is having at least one additional battery (that can be switched while the laptop is conected to the UPS).

That's why I bought one of these yesterday:

It is supposedly better than other generic versions...and the seller has not raised the price recently.

PS: I would never buy a 6 celda battery as long as 9 celda batteries are available.

Last edited:
Hi, Lunar. I've experienced many power outages, though mostly in provincia, where my connection is from the street poles. I never had an issue in a building in CABA even though i do have a UPS 12v supply powering my routers and phone. My post did receive quite a few likes though, so I'm not too crazy.

Back