pregnant in BsAs

jurarol

Registered
Hi everyone,just found out that we are pregnant(surprise) with our third child,can anyone recommend an english speaking gyn in Nordelta area.We just moved here 10 months ago,and don't have health insurance yet,was thinking about swiss or galeno.Any info regarding maternity clothes,cribs,strollers,breast pumps,delivery would be helpful.My youngest son is 7 years and i had both my kids in US,so I'm a bit scared to have a baby here.Thanx
 

RWS

Registered
jurarol said:
. . . can anyone recommend an english speaking gyn in Nordelta area. . . .
Not specifically, but I'd suggest 'phoning the Hospital Británico in C.F. As all their professional staff speak English (I'm told), they may be able to make referrals to an English-speaking gynaecologist nearer you.
 

Cangurito

Registered
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I have experienced the excellent service and attention from Swiss Medical - sanitorio otamendi here in Buenos Aires whose doctors saved the life of my wife and daughter a few years ago.

My wife was diagnosed with preclampsia at 36 weeks, an unexplained condition identified through hypertension. The condition can cause the fetus to detach from the placenta causing fetal suffocation and death.

Within two hours of diagnosis my daughter was delivered csection... alive and well. Being one month premature she had to make use of the neonatal unit at the hospital. They are very experienced and have been running the unit since 1970 and saved the life of my the unborn daughter by identifying early a condition that has sadly claimed millions of lives. The recognised that preclampsia can become eclampsia and monitored my wife in the emergency ward for 3 days. When she did suffer eclampsia the emergency team where on hand to bring her back.

It was a difficult few days but the professionalism, expertise and ability of the brilliant doctors at otamendi worked miracles.

When you need a good team of doctors, it's not because everything is going right, it's because something has gone wrong.

Price - the total bill was many thousands of USD$. I paid around USD$ 150 and the rest was covered by the medical insurance. :)
 

jurarol

Registered
Cangurito said:
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I have experienced the excellent service and attention from Swiss Medical - sanitorio otamendi here in Buenos Aires whose doctors saved the life of my wife and daughter a few years ago.

My wife was diagnosed with preclampsia at 36 weeks, an unexplained condition identified through hypertension. The condition can cause the fetus to detach from the placenta causing fetal suffocation and death.

Within two hours of diagnosis my daughter was delivered csection... alive and well. Being one month premature she had to make use of the neonatal unit at the hospital. They are very experienced and have been running the unit since 1970 and saved the life of my the unborn daughter by identifying early a condition that has sadly claimed millions of lives. The recognised that preclampsia can become eclampsia and monitored my wife in the emergency ward for 3 days. When she did suffer eclampsia the emergency team where on hand to bring her back.

It was a difficult few days but the professionalism, expertise and ability of the brilliant doctors at otamendi worked miracles.

When you need a good team of doctors, it's not because everything is going right, it's because something has gone wrong.

Price - the total bill was many thousands of USD$. I paid around USD$ 150 and the rest was covered by the medical insurance. :)
Wow,incredible story.I'm happy you baby girl and your wife is all ok now.See, we've been shopping for insurance for two months now.And could not decide between Galeno and Swiss medical,but looks like the baby was faster.And now that i'm about 2 weeks it is so hard to find someone to accept us.My husband called swiss and they said that once you sign up for a family plan ,you can't get pregnant for two months.So i guess pregnancy is a pre-existing condition.And as a matter of fact i was browsing at Otamendi hospital's website.Since there are doctors at Nordelta medical center from that hospital would be great to find insurance that would cover our pregnancy.
 

Cangurito

Registered
The fact that the doctors spoke reasonable English at otamendi was a real bonus.

The medical insurance companies here seem to be quite flexible but it's more about profit and less about health. You could try to negotiate a financial arrangement with them.

If you can't get pregnant for two months before they cover you it sounds like they are expecting 11 months worth of premiums before they will take you on as a client and to offset the risk of delivery complications. This is how they think. In this case and if you can prove that you are thus far without complications, offer to back-pay the premium (not as a family but individually for yourself and unborn baby). Ask them what you would need to pay to join now. Expect to pay between $5000 and $7000 pesos for this. They may ask you to be assessed by their doctors before making a decision.

You might need to weigh the back-pay option against the actual cost of paying for delivery and any delivery complications.
 

lucila

Registered
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I'm Argentine, I my two kids were born here and I hope my experience helps. My sister in law has just had her first baby in Scotland and she suffered a bit because she found that everything is culturally different, so I know how it feels.
Swiss Medical and Ottamendi are definitely the best maternities in Argentina.
 

Keri

Registered
I'm from the states and also pregnant, with our first. If you'd like to meet up just to hang out, talk about doctors, hospitals, anything, i'd love to meet some more pregnant ladies. Also, I have OSDE and am very happy with the coverage (and the cost!). we will have the baby at Ottamendi, which is a beautiful and well regarded hospital.
send me a note, if you'd like to get together.
 

orwellian

Registered
RWS said:
Not specifically, but I'd suggest 'phoning the Hospital Británico in C.F. As all their professional staff speak English (I'm told), they may be able to make referrals to an English-speaking gynaecologist nearer you.
Are you insane? I have lived in Spain for 6 years and I have NEVER seen a worse hospital than Hospital Britanico. If that is a private hospital I wonder how the public ones are here in Argentina.
 

jurarol

Registered
Keri said:
I'm from the states and also pregnant, with our first. If you'd like to meet up just to hang out, talk about doctors, hospitals, anything, i'd love to meet some more pregnant ladies. Also, I have OSDE and am very happy with the coverage (and the cost!). we will have the baby at Ottamendi, which is a beautiful and well regarded hospital.
send me a note, if you'd like to get together.
That would be nice to have a group of us,that are expecting,you know like they have playgroups with kids in the states:)
well everything worked out good so far.We got Medicus insurance,i found english speaking doc at Santa Barbara medical center and just registered at Otamendi the other day.I really wanted to take a tour of the ob unit,but i guess it's on an option here.But we were lucky to visit Instituto diagnostico hospital next door,it looked nice and homey.But my doc recommended Otamendi,so i hope it's also nice and with good equipment.
We just found out that we are having a girl,so i'm very excited,since we already have two boys.
 
Top