pregnant in BsAs

You might wanna consider not telling the medical insurer you are pregnant, otherwise they will refuse to pay for the delivery (depending on what week you are in).
Hospital Aleman is really good. They offer health insurance too (but expensive), and will accept you even though you are already pregnant (if you pay extra). Delivery cost is around 2000 euros with them. You could get that and go for another medical insurer for the whole family when the baby is born (one that is affiliated with Hospital Aleman, e.g OSDE).

I used to get appointments at Hospital Britanico within 2-3 days, now I have to wait 3 weeks. The few doctors that I´ve dealt with spoke fairly good English. Making an appointment is another story. Nordelta is VERY far from Hospital Britanico.

jurarol said:
That would be nice to have a group of us,that are expecting,you know like they have playgroups with kids in the states:)
well everything worked out good so far.We got Medicus insurance,i found english speaking doc at Santa Barbara medical center and just registered at Otamendi the other day.I really wanted to take a tour of the ob unit,but i guess it's on an option here.But we were lucky to visit Instituto diagnostico hospital next door,it looked nice and homey.But my doc recommended Otamendi,so i hope it's also nice and with good equipment.
We just found out that we are having a girl,so i'm very excited,since we already have two boys.

Hi Jurarol, I am 11 weeks pregnant with my first and although I have medical insurance with Swiss Medical I didn't have it long enough before I got pregnant so they are still deciding if they will pay for me or not. Please can you let me know how you worked it out with Medicus. What have you had to pay for them to cover you for your pregnancy. I would really like to have some other options in place incase Swiss mEdical turns me down. Also if anyone can recommend a good English speaking Obstetrician and Mid Wife that would be wonderful. I'm kind of scared of doing it all in Spanish. My language is quite good but it is very specific vocab. Thanks ladies. x

Felicidades! Please make sure you're gynocoolgist knows what kind of birth you want....here they like to cut all women open. Mine tried to schedule a c-section a week before my due date and wouldn't let me go more than 1 week overdue under great duress....

Hi Celia, Thanks for the advice. I have heard that they are very keen on c-sections which is something I absolutely do not want if I can possibly help it. Any advice is really welcome.:)

orwellian said:
Are you insane? I have lived in Spain for 6 years and I have NEVER seen a worse hospital than Hospital Britanico. If that is a private hospital I wonder how the public ones are here in Argentina.

You probably don´t want to see one, believe me. I have my insurance with the hospital britanico and I go there for all my medical concerns, and I signed up with them AFTER having to go to a public hospital and trust me, compared with public hospitals, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the british hospital, and your premiums are a lot lower than swiss medical...

deadlegs said:
Hi Jurarol, I am 11 weeks pregnant with my first and although I have medical insurance with Swiss Medical I didn't have it long enough before I got pregnant so they are still deciding if they will pay for me or not. Please can you let me know how you worked it out with Medicus. What have you had to pay for them to cover you for your pregnancy. I would really like to have some other options in place incase Swiss mEdical turns me down. Also if anyone can recommend a good English speaking Obstetrician and Mid Wife that would be wonderful. I'm kind of scared of doing it all in Spanish. My language is quite good but it is very specific vocab. Thanks ladies. x

Congrats! Looks like everything worked out good for us.So far they are covering everything:ultrasaounds,appts,even my vitamins are free.I just had to go to medicus office and let them know that i'm pregnant,had to bring doctors note to them.and a week later they send a separate card for my prenatal care,so i can get my vitamins.First time i went to the doc,i was 12 weeks,since it's my third pregnancy,i felt more confident.It helps that my husband is argentine,so what i don't understand he does it for me.But i found an English speaking OB/GYN,he is in Santa Barbara medical center( i believe it's Bancalari,wright next to Barrio Santa Barbara).I live in Benavidez,close to Nordelta,so it's very convenient for me and i really like that med center.You can call this lady she is really great and speaks a bit english,she is Medicus agent:Beatriz Tort 15 4046 5676.Good luck!

The public hospitals don't look good or modern, but they have excellent doctors. A handfull of my friends in BA are doctors and they tell me those who work in public hospitals enjoy the highest reputation among their pairs. That is because they have an infinite experience as they work long hours, nights, holidays and they have to attend anyone (it doesn't matter if they come from a villa or from Barrio Norte)...so, putting it short, they have seen everything and know how to work under stress.
Sure public hospitals are not for everyone, but they are much better than they look like.

In the medical community it is known that the best physicians are at the Hospital de Clinicas (State owned) and the Hospital Italiano. No fancy real estate, just top doctors.

Back