Prepaga Health Insurance

One thing to consider when choosing a plan/provider is if you want countrywide coverage or not. I pay about 100 pesos more per month with Medicus than I would if I only wanted coverage for Buenos Aires, because it required going up a plan. I did this because I'll be traveling quite a bit, and frankly, 100 pesos was not that big of a jump in price all things considered. Oh, for the record, when I went to sign up I asked about that Medicus expat plan people have mentioned on the forum (but that was ages ago) and the woman said she's never heard of it, they take everyone so there's no special plan for foreigners...She was also very amused to hear that OSDE told me I needed to prove residency to sign up. Needless to say this is not a requirement at Medicus, and I only showed my passport so she'd spell my name right.

I do wonder if OSDE is experiencing financial problems. It's a shame, my 210 plan was amazing back when I had it, and I would have happily signed up with them again had they not tried to make me jump through imaginary hoops, lying about supposed "new laws" and whatnot.

At OSDE they would take me on a special plan, only, because I have a hearing condition (stable since 24 years). At Hospital Italiano they were cheaper, nicer and told me I just needed to bring my passport and that they often sign up temporary visitors such as exchange professors, etc. Also, at HI they didn't care that my bf was turning 36 this year, apparently 35 is a breaking point in every other insurance plan we inquired about
will go with them

thanks for the info. Do you know if at Hospital Italiano are you required to see only their doctors? Also where is the office where you signed up?

One thing to consider when choosing a plan/provider is if you want countrywide coverage or not. I pay about 100 pesos more per month with Medicus than I would if I only wanted coverage for Buenos Aires, because it required going up a plan. I did this because I'll be traveling quite a bit, and frankly, 100 pesos was not that big of a jump in price all things considered. Oh, for the record, when I went to sign up I asked about that Medicus expat plan people have mentioned on the forum (but that was ages ago) and the woman said she's never heard of it, they take everyone so there's no special plan for foreigners...She was also very amused to hear that OSDE told me I needed to prove residency to sign up. Needless to say this is not a requirement at Medicus, and I only showed my passport so she'd spell my name right.

I do wonder if OSDE is experiencing financial problems. It's a shame, my 210 plan was amazing back when I had it, and I would have happily signed up with them again had they not tried to make me jump through imaginary hoops, lying about supposed "new laws" and whatnot.

where did you sign up for Medicus?

Maybe they thought you were trying to sign up through employment or something. Tell them your not working or that you work for an external company, and that your signing up independently.

i was thinking that they might have thought something like that... the woman tried to talk in english to help me but maybe we should stick to spanish... i will go back and try to clarify and then I will try going to medicus

thanks for the info. Do you know if at Hospital Italiano are you required to see only their doctors? Also where is the office where you signed up?

They have 4 offices where you can sign up:
Barrio Norte
Av.Pueyrredón 1950
TEL: 4959-0200 int.1204

Belgrano
Amenábar 2118
TEL.:4781-7011 /4876-3362

Liniers
Av. Rivadavia 11048
TEL.:4642-6145/ 6169

Olivos
Av. Maipú 2760
TEL.:4711-1964/ 65

I went to the one in Olivos and yes, you have to see only their doctors, but you are given a directory from which to choose from, based on the specialty and your location.
Also, depending on the plan you choose, you can go to certain hospitals and the kind of coverage (con cargo, sin cargo, etc.)

Info on HI plans here
However you have to go to an office in person in order to get a quote (or if your Spanish is good enough, you can try by phone).

Hospital Italiano's private insurance is on a completely different level from Galeno, OSDE, Medicus and to an extent Swiss Medical. They're not really comparable.

On a related note I strongly advise everyone to avoid the actual Hospital Italiano for any sort of important health care.

UPDATE: I went back to OSDE and as i had suspected she had given me the rates and information assuming that I was working here in Buenos Aires... Or maybe she misunderstood me. Either way I said I just want insurance as an individual... I gave her my passport, filled out one page of questions about my health and she said my coverage starts today... Card should come to my house in one week.

Thank you everybody for your help

I went to the office on suipacha and the lady there speaks a little english... in case anyone wants to know...

One more question... Now that i have health insurance, i dont know how to use it.. I have the big book of doctors.. but what i am wondering is how do I know which doctors if i need a referral to see.. like a nutritionist or dermatologist. Can i make an appointment directly with them or do I need to go explain what i want to a general doctor first.

I am still waiting on my ID card but I am just trying to get organized

Back