Prepaid cell phone SIM card

betts

Registered
Hi everyone, where can I get a prepaid cell phone SIM card? I asked at a little mini market type store here in Puerto Madero and they said I could get a "chip" to load up with 30,40,50 pesos of calls at any "kiosk". So being just off the bus - where would I find these "kiosks" is there where they would sell magazines, cigarettes etc.? Do you need any ID to buy a "chip". In Bangkok for instance when you got assigned a phone number you had to show your passport. Thanks!

they dont sell "chips" at kiosks- what they sell is a card, with a rub off area like a lotto ticket, that has a secret code, which you punch in on your phone to buy minutes.
Obviously, this is totally different from what you want.

It may be possible to buy just a SIM card, but not easily- there are three major phone companies here offering mobile service- Personal, Claro, and Movistar, and all want to sell you that SIM card with a phone attached.
About $150 to $175 pesos for the most basic phone, for prepaid service.

And both times I have bought one, they have asked me for my passport.

But nothing in Buenos Aires is universal- there are exceptions to every rule, and wheeler dealers for every situation.

I would go to a phone store or two, myself. There are usually about one per block in most commercial areas. Ask around, at more than one place, and maybe someone will sell you just a SIM card.

Betts

There are several places around Retiro that sell chips for (usually) 5 pesos each. Just pick your company (Movistar, Personal, or Claro (formally CTI) and put in some credit.
You will need an unblocked phone of course...

I have bought several and they all have worked...

Hope this helps,

David

betts said:
Hi everyone, where can I get a prepaid cell phone SIM card? I asked at a little mini market type store here in Puerto Madero and they said I could get a "chip" to load up with 30,40,50 pesos of calls at any "kiosk". So being just off the bus - where would I find these "kiosks" is there where they would sell magazines, cigarettes etc.? Do you need any ID to buy a "chip". In Bangkok for instance when you got assigned a phone number you had to show your passport. Thanks!

Go to Once train station and you can buy any of the three major phone company chips for $5 pesos out the front on the street! I bought mine there, as have other friends and there is no problem what so ever! The phone company outlets often don't sell the chips, they'll send you to a phone accessory shop or something where you'll pay $20.
Honestly, buy one out the front of Once and you wont have any problems. Then you can buy top up credit either as a card bought from the kiosko (where you scratch to reveal the PIN and call the service provider to put in the details) or many locutorios where there is the internet do it electronically for you. Just tell them how much you want to spend, give them your phone number and they do it on their computer. You will receive a text message instantly to say you've been credited.
The cards only come in $25, $30 and $50 I believe. In the locutorio you can pay whatever you want.

PS - Movistar has great credit 'regalos'. They double the amount you purchase and you can even get a free number to call depending on how much you buy.

I have a phone, but need an Argentinian phone number - so I would need a local SIM card before I could use any of those credits - right?

betts said:
I have a phone, but need an Argentinian phone number - so I would need a local SIM card before I could use any of those credits - right?

yep that's right. Assuming your phone is unlocked, all you need to do is buy a sim (known as a CHIP here), put it in, then buy yourself some credit.
Another handy hint to know: for people sending you a message or ringing you from outside Argentina they need to use the following number
+54911 xxxx xxxx
the x's represent the last 8 numbers of your mobile number. The first two (normally 15 or 11, its the same) are replaced by the 911. 54 is the dialing code for Argie.
Sometimes my friends in Australia say that my number shows up to them as +44 (UK).... no idea why. They just don't hit reply, but rather use the number as saved in their contacts list.

$5 for a sim card at any of the major mobile companies. You need your passport but even with just a tourist stamp you can get the pay-as-you-go plan.

i bought a moviestar sim at palermo alto.. took my passport, they copied it. recharge cards at the newsagents.. they would recharge for me.. no hassle at all....

When I bought a phone I only had a copy of my passport - but that was good enough. He just copied the number, All these regulations are designed to stop criminals or terrorists but they are always easy to get around. I could have given him a copy of Micky Mouse's passport and he would have just copied the number...

I got a new LG for 149 and a 90 minute card for 50. But it took almost 8 hours for the phone to start working.

I asked at one phone shop if the phone would work in the USA and he was quite emphatic that it would only work in Argentina. I was hoping I could use it in the USA when I returned. Any of you have experience using Argentine phone in your home country?

Joe said:
I asked at one phone shop if the phone would work in the USA and he was quite emphatic that it would only work in Argentina. I was hoping I could use it in the USA when I returned. Any of you have experience using Argentine phone in your home country?

If you get it unlocked it will work in the USA.

Back