Private English conversation class rates?

Point well taken. Problem is the adult and 3 kids end up all being taught in the same way with no individualization of material or teaching method for the different learning styles. Cost effective, but not most effective. When it comes down to it you are right, they probably won't see things that way and just want the lowest price.

I think 60 an hour for 3 students is appropriate for an inexperienced teacher. An experienced teacher would probably charge much more than that, given the cost of things these days and the fact that teaching 3 students is definitely NOT the same amount of work as teaching 1. At least, if you want to teach them well, it requires a certain amount more of preparation, and certainly more energy and effort within the class. I think all those things deserve higher pay, and if a student decides not to take your class because of that, well you can move on to another student as there is certainly no lack of English students in this city!

That said, I haven't taught an English class in quite a while, so maybe my vision is outdated :D although I would imagine that experienced teachers are charging at least 50 pesos or more per hour just for one student nowadays (inflation's like that!)

My brother just got his TEFL certificate a month ago and is completely inexperienced (this will be his first gig), so I think it will be fine if he charges $60 an hour. The father of the kids explicitly requested conversation classes and nothing else. He doesn't want planned lessons or anything. He just wants he and his kids to be able to polish their English with a native speaker.

Back