Wryter47

Registered
Is it possible to have my Social Security check deposited
directly to a bank here in BsAs? I have resisted such before
but the hassle of having the check go to my bank in NY and
then being passed on to me in dribs and drabs via Western
Union seems perhaps a little stupid (a condition not unknown
in my famil). Is there a particular bank that does such things
at whatever cost and gives you a bank card for withdrawals?

Thanks and sorry again for loading up the net bandwidth.

Peter in Martinez

I've no idea what a Social Security Cheque is I'm afraid to say....something US?

I qualify for my UK state pension this year and I won't get a penny of it as I don't reside in a country that qualifies to have it paid into. Good job the missus has a few bob or I'd be destitute!! ;)

Is it possible to have my Social Security check deposited
directly to a bank here in BsAs? I have resisted such before
but the hassle of having the check go to my bank in NY and
then being passed on to me in dribs and drabs via Western
Union seems perhaps a little stupid (a condition not unknown
in my famil). Is there a particular bank that does such things
at whatever cost and gives you a bank card for withdrawals?

Thanks and sorry again for loading up the net bandwidth.

Peter in Martinez
Dribs and drabs? You can send $5000. per transaction.

Banco Macro had a special program to open a debit account to receive the SSA checks . Converted to pesos at the Oficial Rate..!

I've no idea what a Social Security Cheque is I'm afraid to say....something US?

I qualify for my UK state pension this year and I won't get a penny of it as I don't reside in a country that qualifies to have it paid into. Good job the missus has a few bob or I'd be destitute!! ;)
I've got good news and bad news:

The bad news is that, since you've been away, the pension age has been moving steadily outwards and is now set at 66 years for both men and women.

The good news is that, provided you have more than ten years equivalent contributions (or choose to top up your contributions) you are entitled to a UK State Pension wherever you live though I accept that you might have to meet HMG half way over the matters of where and how it gets paid. Unfortunately it won't be uprated annually but if you ever return to live in the UK it will then be paid at the current rate and uprated anually as normal. It's probably worth applying for your State Pension if only for that additional safety net.

My sister has lived outside the UK since 1987 in a country that the UK doesn't recognise for pension increases and even though her payout is so tiny that she only gets an accumulated payment once per year, on the one hand it sets in train the safety net in case she returns to the UK and on the other, it's not a benefit, it's been paid for by her contributions and she's damn well not going to lose it.

Lots of information and links here: https://www.iexpats.com/claim-uk-state-pension-expat-retired-overseas/ where the most useful link is probably the International Pensions Centre. The forum britishexpats.com is Brit-centric and may be a useful source of help and advice - if you didn't know about it already

Somehoiw I had the idea that my SSA check, in dollars, would be received thus and I would be able to withdraw
those dollars from the bank (and, obviously, sell them at the cueva). I think the idea was a "dollar account" where
the institution was Argentine and they let you receive your check in dollars.

Looks like the system isn't set up that way and that any dollar that passes through Macro or any other bank needs
to be received in AR pesos at the official rate, which I know is basically nutso compared to the unofficial rate.

Thank you for your responses.

I've got good news and bad news:

The bad news is that, since you've been away, the pension age has been moving steadily outwards and is now set at 66 years for both men and women.

The good news is that, provided you have more than ten years equivalent contributions (or choose to top up your contributions) you are entitled to a UK State Pension wherever you live though I accept that you might have to meet HMG half way over the matters of where and how it gets paid. Unfortunately it won't be uprated annually but if you ever return to live in the UK it will then be paid at the current rate and uprated anually as normal. It's probably worth applying for your State Pension if only for that additional safety net.

My sister has lived outside the UK since 1987 in a country that the UK doesn't recognise for pension increases and even though her payout is so tiny that she only gets an accumulated payment once per year, on the one hand it sets in train the safety net in case she returns to the UK and on the other, it's not a benefit, it's been paid for by her contributions and she's damn well not going to lose it.

Lots of information and links here: https://www.iexpats.com/claim-uk-state-pension-expat-retired-overseas/ where the most useful link is probably the International Pensions Centre. The forum britishexpats.com is Brit-centric and may be a useful source of help and advice - if you didn't know about it already

Thanks for the info. Yes I had heard it was raised to 66. Last time I checked I just qualified for the full amount however assumed living here put the mockers on ever receiving it. I shall have to study the wording more. Like your sister says, after having paid into it for 35 years I might as well see if I can get what I'm due.

YEEEEEPPP you can!
Some time ago I went to the Flores branch of Banco Piano to find out exactly that.
They told me yes,I could open an special account that will transfer your SSN check there. I do not remember whether they will deposit USD or they will deposit $AR at the official rate (not good). Check this at Banco Piano in San Martin St in down town.

Back