Punta del Este

SaraSara

Registered
Rad said:
This must be the most overhyped, overpriced, boring and soulless lower middle class ("upscale" in South America) resort I have ever been to. What do people see in this place?
The place is blah and looks like Miami, but hardly middle-class. Prices are crazy: a Dutch couple recently paid 7.5 million dollars for an apartment on Playa Mansa.

Punta del Este was a family resort before being discovered by the Argentine "farandula", the TV and entertainment crowd. The ultra-fashionable and ultra-expensive Jose Ignacio (farther up the coast) was a small fishing village with only a few homes and one "almacen" until Mirtha Legrand built her house there.
 

Rad

Registered
SaraSara said:
Punta del Este is blah and looks like Miami, but hardly middle-class. A Dutch couple recently paid 7.5 million dollars for an apartment on Playa Mansa.
As I wrote before - it's "upscale" for South America.

In Europe, PDE would be a lower-middle class resort at best. Upper middle class in Romania, Bulgaria or Ukraine, *maybe*.

I have yet to see one apartment building that looks like the apartments in it are worth millions. The architecture is mediocre at best. The views are OK but not spectacular. (The architecture of single family homes is interesting though.)
 

cricri58

Registered
There is a nice area in Punta called Beverley Hills , it is very green. You can have a nice promenade there. Also there is an interesting private art gallery (i forgot the name, I think it starts with R.) which displays South American art. Jose Ignacio surroundings are also very enjoyable (better when it is off-season) and close -by another interesting museum about The Sea world.
As for the rest, I agree, it is very hard to come across "quality people" ;)
 

SaraSara

Registered
Rad said:
As I wrote before - it's "upscale" for South America.

In Europe, PDE would be a lower-middle class resort at best. Upper middle class in Romania, Bulgaria or Ukraine, *maybe*.

I have yet to see one apartment building that looks like the apartments in it are worth millions. The architecture is mediocre at best. The views are OK but not spectacular. (The architecture of single family homes is interesting though.)
A 7.5 million dollar apartment is "upscale" in more places than South America. You can buy a house on the Pacific Palisades for that money.

This is the Acqua building - the Dutch couple bought the penthouse flat. It comes complete with marble floors and a large terrace with a private infinity pool. A lower floor apartment sold for seven million dollars - a real bargain.

http://www.acqua.com.uy/v.02/Punta-del-Este.html
 

mobri1130

Registered
cricri58 said:
There is a nice area in Punta called Beverley Hills , it is very green. You can have a nice promenade there. Also there is an interesting private art gallery (i forgot the name, I think it starts with R.) which displays South American art. Jose Ignacio surroundings are also very enjoyable (better when it is off-season) and close -by another interesting museum about The Sea world.
As for the rest, I agree, it is very hard to come across "quality people" ;)
It's called Museo Ralli, a beautiful place with some pretty amazing art...although weird hours, so if anyone is thinking of checking it out I'd check to make sure they'll be open before heading there (for example, in the off-season it's only open on the weekend from 2-6).
 

gouchobob

Registered
SaraSara said:
The place is blah and looks like Miami, but hardly middle-class. Prices are crazy: a Dutch couple recently paid 7.5 million dollars for an apartment on Playa Mansa.

Punta del Este was a family resort before being discovered by the Argentine "farandula", the TV and entertainment crowd. The ultra-fashionable and ultra-expensive Jose Ignacio (farther up the coast) was a small fishing village with only a few homes and one "almacen" until Mirtha Legrand built her house there.
Speaking of Miami I read where the price of real estate there is suppose drop another 30% between now and September, total drop from the peak of roughly 70%. Probably cheaper than Punta or B.A. today for housing. I have heard reports that nice condos can be had in the $30's. I'm not a big fan of Miami but at these prices it's starting to look better.
 

Rad

Registered
SaraSara said:
A 7.5 million dollar apartment is "upscale" in more places than South America. You can buy a house on the Pacific Palisades for that money.

This is the Acqua building - the Dutch couple bought the penthouse flat. It comes complete with marble floors and a large terrace with a private infinity pool. A lower floor apartment sold for seven million dollars - a real bargain.

http://www.acqua.com.uy/v.02/Punta-del-Este.html
So it's only the price that makes it upscale? Then a dump with million dollar shacks can be upscale too. That's a bit of a hyperbole, I know, but that is exactly my point. The average home price in the worst ghettos of LA was $600k just 2 - 3 years ago.
Monaco or St. Tropez - there you get real value for your money.

But I am beating a dead horse here...

Anyway, I am happy to be back in Buenos Aires and after the trip it (BsAs) actually feels like a first world place.
 

SaraSara

Registered
Rad said:
So it's only the price that makes it upscale? Then a dump with million dollar shacks can be upscale too.
Upscale:

"adj.

Of, intended for, or relating to high-income consumers: an upscale neighborhood; upscale fashions"
 

Rad

Registered
SaraSara said:
Upscale:

"adj.
Of, intended for, or relating to high-income consumers: an upscale neighborhood; upscale fashions"
:rolleyes: OK... Great that we have clarified the semantics. PDE is an upscale dump.
Some people have very low standards.
 

perry

Registered
I share your thoughts on Punta Del Este Rad completely overpriced, overhyped and unnatural. There are thousands of more beautiful places in Argentina that are completely pristine and without the false hype of Punta Del Este
 
Top