Punta del Este

SaraSara

Registered
Not only Punta del Este has been discovered - the rest of Uruguay has been discovered as well.

Colonia land prices have quadrupled in the past five years, driven by Irish, American, and French gentlemen farmers. There are growing expat colonies in Atlantida and Piriapolis, mostly German, Canadian and American retirees.

Punta del Este has seen an increase in wealthy South Africans, Germans, Dutch, French, and Spaniards, besides the usual Arg. and Brazilians. They buy enormously expensive properties, and use them only for one or two months a year.
 

Futboljunkie

Registered
SaraSara said:
Not only Punta del Este has been discovered - the rest of Uruguay has been discovered as well.

Colonia land prices have quadrupled in the past five years, driven by Irish, American, and French gentlemen farmers. There are growing expat colonies in Atlantida and Piriapolis, mostly German, Canadian and American retirees.

Punta del Este has seen an increase in wealthy South Africans, Germans, Dutch, French, and Spaniards, besides the usual Arg. and Brazilians. They buy enormously expensive properties, and use them only for one or two months a year.
They need to be in Uruguay atleast 6,5 months a year and they can't own a property somewhere else and spend 9 months a year there

You can however travel the world and only spend about 2 months a year in Uruguay, Uruguay could care less but your home country would care

This also does not for Americans because they are taxed on world income based on there nationality
 

Futboljunkie

Registered
Rad said:
I talked to some people in PDE. Most of them were from Brazil or Argentina. None were from Europe.

I know that some european real estate companies are discovering Uruguay, but saying that there is a big influx of extremely rich foreigners from Germany seems like an overstatement to me.

Anyway, this influx, real or not, does not necessarily prevent Pepe from doing something stupid. He is a commie after all. And even then, this is of little relevancy to my original question - What do people see in PDE. So far, I understand that Uruguay in general is a safe haven for Argentine money. PDE in particular - I still don't get it. It's ... as described in my first post.
Check the area near the airport in MVD, not PdE
 

SaraSara

Registered
gouchobob said:
According to the Mercer COL data Montevideo ranks 131 and B.A. at 112. People who collect and analyze the data for a living say B.A. is more expensive.
I split the year between Colonia and Buenos Aires. My personal experience is that at this time, Uruguay is about a third more expensive than Argentina. And I live in rural East Colonia, which is supposed to be cheaper than Montevideo, Atlantida, Piriapolis, and Punta del Este.

The Colonia ferry is loaded with Uruguayans who cross to BA for the day just to shop - some even make a business of it, taking orders from their Uruguayan clients.
 

Futboljunkie

Registered
Stuff like clothes, medicine and electronics are definitly more expensive. That's why most middle and upperclass Uruguayans go shopping in BA.

Does anybody have an idea of the influx of foreign (first world) immigrants in Uruguay in the last 5 to 10 years?
 

Rad

Registered
SaraSara said:
The Colonia ferry is loaded with Uruguayans who cross to BA for the day just to shop - some even make a business of it, taking orders from their Uruguayan clients.
I think that many of them go only for the duty free shops on the ferry. The cost of the ferry is quite high though, so to make the trip worth the expense, they must buy a lot of stuff. The duty free shops were full when I was travelling.
 

SaraSara

Registered
Rad said:
I think that many of them go only for the duty free shops on the ferry. The cost of the ferry is quite high though, so to make the trip worth the expense, they must buy a lot of stuff. The duty free shops were full when I was travelling.
Wrong on both assumptions.

The duty-free shop is popular and whiskey is cheaper there, but most things like cosmetics are far cheaper in Montevideo Shopping.

Buquebus has special promotional fares for Uruguayan citizens, a little over half of what others pay. People do buy lots of stuff - they board the ferry loaded with shopping bags from BA stores.
 
Top