Q/about Residency In The Us And Arg

I thought the US didn't like their permanent residents leaving the country for more than 6 months at a time? The one day every two years is how Argentina handles it, but I think US agents can give you a hard time if they consider that you've given up your permanent residency. I know my mother was advised to never stay out of the country more than a few months at a time, and she was/is married to an American.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:
  • Move to another country intending to live there permanently
  • Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
  • Remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns

I thought the US didn't like their permanent residents leaving the country for more than 6 months at a time? The one day every two years is how Argentina handles it, but I think US agents can give you a hard time if they consider that you've given up your permanent residency. I know my mother was advised to never stay out of the country more than a few months at a time, and she was/is married to an American.

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:
  • Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period

This is a very good point, and Isadora already posted the following:

I have already applied for a re-entry permit to that purpose (in the US).

Continuing to file and pay taxes in the US is just as important.

Not to distract from OP.

Just for comparison .... for Canucks: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Losing your permanent resident status

Your permanent resident status can be taken away if:
  • you do not live in Canada for two out of five years.
  • you are convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada.

Back