Question For Folks Who Have Spent Time In Medellin

lucha54

Registered
Is Medellin a good base to set up shop for a month or two and travel around Colombia?
I work remotely and really want to see Colombia but I am worried about lack of internet access while traveling.
I was thinking to rent a temp place in Medellin for 4-6 weeks and see all the must-sees from there maybe over 3 or 4 day weekends...

Is this do-able? Is it a good city to base oneself and travel from, with good access to the hot spots? I'm not so into the cities but worry about the nature areas and lack of internet access from those places.

Thanks in advance for anyone in the know....

Pablo Escobar knows it better ? I have coworker from there, he kept saying it's a safe place, has internet and everything now.

Is Medellin a good base to set up shop for a month or two and travel around Colombia?
I work remotely and really want to see Colombia but I am worried about lack of internet access while traveling.
I was thinking to rent a temp place in Medellin for 4-6 weeks and see all the must-sees from there maybe over 3 or 4 day weekends...

Is this do-able? Is it a good city to base oneself and travel from, with good access to the hot spots? I'm not so into the cities but worry about the nature areas and lack of internet access from those places.

PM Joe...he spent a few months there last year. He's in Bogotá now.

Medellin is a great place to post up and see Colombia. Geographically in the middle of the country, buses from Medellin go everywhere in Colombia. Plus, you have two airports, one in the city and the other on the outskirts. Vivacolombia has intra-colombia flights that can be ridiculously cheap. The weather in Medellin is perfect, the prices are cheap, the food is good, the people are wonderful. It is Colombia's most modern and organized city. A very good choice to achieve your objective.

I'm currently in Medellin. Everything said in post #4 is spot on. Sweetening the deal, at the moment the strong dollar gives high value for all purchases for those with access to dollars especially restaurants and transportation. Taxi drivers that I've encountered are polite, honest, ready to help.

There are two Americans who've started a real estate agency with all required gov't issued permits specializing in rentals to foreigners. They have a stable of rentals including some 'shares'. I was shown a few and then made my decision. PM me for the company name or I can post it here if anyone else is interested.

For past few weeks on a vacation in Medellin. Love it here.

The great exchange rate really makes it feel like the country is very affordable. Medellin in particular is very cheap.

The best part - Metered taxis, very affordable. Lot of pretty girls everywhere/approachable. Great great weather. delicious arepa. affordable hotels/apartments.

Not much to dislike about Medellin.

Is there a move in your future Ceviche? Medellin has been high on our list to visit/explore. I confirmed with Colombia migraciones that I qualified for the 2-year Mercosur visa the day I receive my Argentine passport. No five year wait as there is for other Mercosur countries.

We recently had the AP bureau chief from Bogotá as a house guest with his Colombian wife and kids. He likes Medellín a lot but, as far as a center for getting around Colombia, that can be problematical. It's 40 minutes from Bogotá by air, but 11 hours by road. Even Cali's about seven hours away, and Popayán (very nice town) another three hours.

Incidentally, he travels frequently to Caracas for work, and is concerned that journalists working there may become literal targets. One day, Diosdado Cabello flashed my friend's AP business card - he has no idea how Cabello got it - on national TV.

Aaaaand I just realized the original post was from March. Oh well! Posting what I have written anyway. lucha54, did you ever go?

Yes, it would be a great place to set up shop! Internet in Colombia, in my fairly extensive experience, is both more reliable and faster than in Argentina. Shopping malls and large parks usually have free wifi as well (not that I recommend taking your laptop to a park to work). I'm not sure what you mean by "nature areas," but if it's an established tourist destination, it should have good internet.

As for traveling around, no Colombian will take a bus if they can afford to fly. Bus travel within Colombia is not as safe or reliable as it is in Argentina, unfortunately. And it takes forever because of all those mountains. Flights from Medellín to other destinations will be frequent and good deals happen all the time. My husband and I have frequent flier accounts with Avianca so we always fly with them, but VivaColombia, as another poster mentioned, is a cheap and popular option. Traveling up and down the Caribbean coast (Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, etc.) in the little shuttle buses is easy and safe, however.

I have been missing Colombia hardcore lately. Hope all of you who are there/plan to go have a blast!

Back