Quick questions about expat life in BA

mdavis38

Registered
I am considering living in BA. I have lived in Spain and Mexico. I have visited BA several times but it has been years ago. I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer as well as a solid expat community. I speak Spanish on an intermediate level so I will be fine as far as the language goes.
I would like to get a perspective from you guys that already live there.
My experience living in Spain was a very different experience from living in Mexico.
Spain was very civilized and modern country and very clean. The healthcare system was ok but not up to date.
Mexico was very third world.
I would like to be around educated people who are interested in the modern world and what is happening outside of their own country.
Each individual is different.
In general how are Argentinians towards expats?
Do most expats live in a certain area and if so what is the area please?
How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA?
If an expat has US dollars would he be able to avoid the historical ups and downs of the economy in Argentina?
How much would an expat need to live a comfortable but not upscale lifestyle in BA?
Is BA a safe city for expats? Just like any city therea are going to be bad areas but in the most part how safe is it?
Last question I promise.
How modernized is the healthcare system compared to the USA?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!

I am considering living in BA. I have lived in Spain and Mexico. I have visited BA several times but it has been years ago. I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer as well as a solid expat community. I speak Spanish on an intermediate level so I will be fine as far as the language goes.
I would like to get a perspective from you guys that already live there.
My experience living in Spain was a very different experience from living in Mexico.
Spain was very civilized and modern country and very clean. The healthcare system was ok but not up to date.
Mexico was very third world.
I would like to be around educated people who are interested in the modern world and what is happening outside of their own country.
Each individual is different.
How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA?
If an expat has US dollars would he be able to avoid the historical ups and downs of the economy in Argentina?
How much would an expat need to live a comfortable but not upscale lifestyle in BA?
Is BA a safe city for expats? Just like any city therea are going to be bad areas but in the most part how safe is it?
Last question I promise.
How modernized is the healthcare system compared to the USA?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!
reading all these questions my gut feeling is you won't like it here.

Given that is has been "years ago" that the OP visited Buenos Aires, I would think a refresher course is needed. Schedule a visit for a month or more. Relying on comments in any forum may help a bit, but overall would likely be more confusing than helpful. My 2 cents.

Do most expats live in a certain area and if so what is the area please? Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo, among others.

How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA? Yes, except for access to products.

If an expat has US dollars would he be able to avoid the historical ups and downs of the economy in Argentina? - For the most part. Although prices do rise and fall in USD terms.

How much would an expat need to live a comfortable but not upscale lifestyle in BA? - Depends on your needs.

Is BA a safe city for expats? Just like any city therea are going to be bad areas but in the most part how safe is it? - A lot of petty crime, but you're unlikely to be a victim of violent crime in the "safe" areas.

Last question I promise.
How modernized is the healthcare system compared to the USA? - The private hospitals are modern and much cheaper than USA.

Given that is has been "years ago" that the OP visited Buenos Aires, I would think a refresher course is needed. Schedule a visit for a month or more. Relying on comments in any forum may help a bit, but overall would likely be more confusing than helpful. My 2 cents.
I agree but it will be helpful just to get the general perspective of people who do live there now. Thanks

Do most expats live in a certain area and if so what is the area please? Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo, among others.

How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA? Yes, except for access to products.

If an expat has US dollars would he be able to avoid the historical ups and downs of the economy in Argentina? - For the most part. Although prices do rise and fall in USD terms.

How much would an expat need to live a comfortable but not upscale lifestyle in BA? - Depends on your needs.

Is BA a safe city for expats? Just like any city therea are going to be bad areas but in the most part how safe is it? - A lot of petty crime, but you're unlikely to be a victim of violent crime in the "safe" areas.

Last question I promise.
How modernized is the healthcare system compared to the USA? - The private hospitals are modern and much cheaper than USA.
Thank you for answering my questions. I really appreciate your input.

What exactly makes you think that I won't like it there?
1.I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer as well as a solid expat community.
BA does not have a big expat community like say Madrid or Barcelona. It does have a lot to offer otherwise...
2. Spain was very civilized and modern country and very clean. The healthcare system was ok but not up to date.
If you think Spain's healthcare system is not up to date then you will hate Argentina.
3. Mexico was very third world.
If you say/think Mexico is 3rd world country you will hate Argentina.
4. I would like to be around educated people who are interested in the modern world and what is happening outside of their own country.
This has very little to do with what country you live in.
5. How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA?
Buenos Aires is not a convenient city.

The bigger question is what do you want to get out of Buenos Aires and how long do you plant to live here for? Be aware that being a permaturista is no longer an option with Covid as you may not be able to do corder runs. Yes, you'd need to come and visit for a month before making a decision.

Argentina is not the country for you... Argentina is on Mexico level of development.

I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer as well as a solid expat community. I speak Spanish on an intermediate level so I will be fine as far as the language goes.
Is BA a safe city for expats?
Buenos Aires is home to a wonderful expat population. There are, in particular, many thousands of Peruvians, Bolivians, Paraguayans, Venezuelans, Senegalese, and Chinese, to name just the first groups that come to mind. They live in every barrio across the city. Some of those barrios are less safe than others, so some of these expats do face security issues.

Your Spanish will stand you in very good stead for communicating with most of them. Though to communicate with the Senegalese and Chinese about, say political or cultural matters and current affairs in their home country, you'd better be sure your English is up to scratch, or else learn Senegalese or Chinese.

Almost by definition--given the life experiences that brought them to Buenos Aires--most of the expats from these countries have more of an idea about what is happening outside than the average Porteño, who, unfortunately, tends to be less broad-minded and would regard the people from such countries not as ex-pats but as merely foreigners. So, be warned: on balance, Porteños are probably not particularly comfortable with expats.

There is also is a smattering of expats from North America and Europe, as well as the occasional Australian or New Zealander. They tend to be less educated than the other expats, for example, they often only speak one language (English, admittedly in several varieties, often mutually unintelligible). Your Spanish won't help you communicate with them; you will have to talk down to them in English, when, for example, discussing Senegalese or Chinese politics, culture, and current affairs. These expats tend also to be less broad-minded, sharing with the Porteños the view that the people from the other expat countries could not possibly be expats but must in fact be foreigners, for reasons I am too uneducated to understand.

Back