Racism In Ba?!??

Buenos Aires is one of the most cosmopolitan and multi-cultural cities on the planet,

The city itself certainly is cosmopolitan (i.e. Having constituent elements from all over the world ) but (average/most) Porteños are certainly not cosmopolitan (i.e. a person who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment) and you will see this reflected in daily life, explaining some of the racist/xenophobic/discriminatory language, thoughts and actions. Remember that they are not directed to you as an individual - they are simply manifestations of someone's inner world and you may be a trigger. Institutionalized racism like you would encounter in Cape Town or Tel Aviv for example, you will not see here.

If Buenos Aires was truly Cosmopolitan, you'd find authentic Mexican, Japanese, Thai and Indian food here. But you can't offer that here, as the locals would simply not consume it. They want a food that has a label of being Mexican, Thai or Indian, but completely watered down to meet the local provincial tastes. I'd call Buenos Aires a pseudo-Cosmopolitan city.

Institutionalized racism like you would encounter in Cape Town or Tel Aviv for example, you will not see here.

True. But I think it has more to do with the fact that there are few blacks, and Bolivians and Paraguayans are not moving into Puerto Madero or going to watch Polo matches in large numbers.

If Buenos Aires was truly Cosmopolitan, you'd find authentic Mexican, Japanese, Thai and Indian food here. But you can't offer that here, as the locals would simply not consume it. They want a food that has a label of being Mexican, ThaiI or Indian, but completely watered down to meet the local provincial tastes. I'd call Buenos Aires a pseudo-Cosmopolitan city.

A City is Cosmopolitan? the Architecture?? or its Residents attitudes make it Cosmopolitan??

Buenos Aires Residents are Cosmopolitan.....nay ???? Well certain city pockets ( Palermo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta) and certain socio-economic groups within this pockets. The Kiosko attendant in my area is NOT Cosmopolitan!!

If Buenos Aires was truly Cosmopolitan, you'd find authentic Mexican, Japanese, Thai and Indian food here. But you can't offer that here, as the locals would simply not consume it. They want a food that has a label of being Mexican, Thai or Indian, but completely watered down to meet the local provincial tastes. I'd call Buenos Aires a pseudo-Cosmopolitan city.
haha, that's true, but it is getting better. I have a few Argie friends in Bay Area, each time I went to their houses, they eat the same comida as in BsAs, and spice does not belong to their kitchen. Very slowly, they get dragged into other restaurants by their coworkers.
Many of them have soda machines or air bottle for their red wines, that's crazy.

However, I personally don't give a flying rat's hind parts about things like "micro aggression" (whatever the heck that means) if someone wants to know where I'm from and then proceeds to ask where I'm really from (happens in Argentina too) or sit at home wondering and worrying about what someone said or whether there are enough people of my skin color in a given political party/tv show/movie/grocery store.

Even though I agree with most of your post I find the above paragraph rather strange. Colour and race do matter. It part of our identity the same way that being a woman is clearly part of a woman's identity. If there were no women in Macri's cabinet then could I assume you'd be ok with that?

In the political class here there is institutional discrimination/racism which lingers from the initial colonial days. Dark skinned (ie mestizo/indigenous clearly not 'traditional' european looking) politicians are few and far between and rarely get beyond the provincial level. Even though half the country are dark skinned there isnt a single dark skinned politician in the high ranks and not just politics but across the board. Is this because they arent innately clever or potentially capable enough or becuase they are directly or indirectly being ' kept in their place'...?

TwentyThousandRoads:
I realize that is is slightly off topic.However,as a native of metropolian and cosmopolitan New York and someone who once lived a few years on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx.I'd be interested to know why in your opinion it was a mistake on your grandparents' part to leave B,A, to go and live there? The Bronx and Brooklyn were home to millions of Jews,Irish and southern Italians looking for work in a stable democratic society where they could grow and prosper.Could it be that Argentina at the time they left failed to live up to their expectations?
After 37 years here I have seen many people get fed up with it and pack it in.I stuck it out but until Dec 22 last I wouldn't have recommended that anyone do the same.Now,hopefully, there could be a new beginning.

Even though I agree with most of your post I find the above paragraph rather strange. Colour and race do matter. It part of our identity the same way that being a woman is clearly part of a woman's identity. If there were no women in Macri's cabinet then could I assume you'd be ok with that?

In the political class here there is institutional discrimination/racism which lingers from the initial colonial days. Dark skinned (ie mestizo/indigenous clearly not 'traditional' european looking) politicians are few and far between and rarely get beyond the provincial level. Even though half the country are dark skinned there isnt a single dark skinned politician in the high ranks and not just politics but across the board. Is this because they arent innately clever or potentially capable enough or becuase they are directly or indirectly being ' kept in their place'...?

Couldn't be said better ... Excellent will keep a copy for the Files...!!

Not a Single Senator Dark Skinned or the Diputados or the National Government ..??
Now on TV its FAR worse all women are blondes Real or not? (now its hard to tell). The TV or Print ads for Fallabella or other Department stores picture Scandinavian looking Children.?? Why mestizos and Criollos are kept out of sight ??
Women in the NOA and NEA mostly darker skinned must feel postponed when looking at a Fashion show ...? All models are European Looking...! Can this be Racism.. or a Eurocentric aspiring Society..? B)

Back