Real Estate Prices In Usd And Ars - Help

Yes, no other options so the few things that hold their value start becoming way overpriced. The same thing appears to occur in the used vehicle market.

Are new vehicles available to be purchased right now? Or dealers are claiming "no inventory" or raising prices above the msrp I see many used pickups listed higher than the sticker cost of a new ones.

People don't trust the banks here (especially after what happened in 2001/2002), so if you want to protect your assets, real estate is one of the only, relatively solid places to invest your money. Many of our friends in Argentina own multiple properties, not because they are rich, but because it is their retirement plan, inheritance plan and "don't get my money devalued/corralled by the government" plan all wrapped into one.

Can you please elaborate? I would agree in a steady economy, but not in Argentina with its up and down. If you have to sell during a "down" period, you might get way less than you paid. If you have many houses and are a broker, I can understand, but the average John & Jane Doe...

Steady Economies?? ask the J &J Does in Florida or Spain about ups and downs of the real estate market prices after 2008? :D Reposesions and Evictions by the 100 of thousands..!!

To answer the OP's original question: If the price is listed in Dollars then the seller wants Dollars. It's up to you to figure out how to get that. If the price is listed in Pesos then the seller will take those Pesos. Keep in mind that price will probably be continually adjusted upwards as the Peso devalues. The only exception are non-resident sellers who can list in Pesos and convert to Dollars to repatriate according to Banco Central rules.

In any method you pay you will need to show provenance (history) of the funds, either in Pesos or in Dollars. You can't purchase property anymore with a bag full of cash. If you buy in Pesos you need to show you earned those Pesos and paid taxes on them. If you pay in Dollars you need to show that you earned those Dollars and paid taxes on them. There are a couple of work-arounds to this. If you want more info pm me.

GS

To answer the OP's original question: If the price is listed in Dollars then the seller wants Dollars. It's up to you to figure out how to get that. If the price is listed in Pesos then the seller will take those Pesos. Keep in mind that price will probably be continually adjusted upwards as the Peso devalues. The only exception are non-resident sellers who can list in Pesos and convert to Dollars to repatriate according to Banco Central rules.

In any method you pay you will need to show provenance (history) of the funds, either in Pesos or in Dollars. You can't purchase property anymore with a bag full of cash. If you buy in Pesos you need to show you earned those Pesos and paid taxes on them. If you pay in Dollars you need to show that you earned those Dollars and paid taxes on them. There are a couple of work-arounds to this. If you want more info pm me.

GS

CEDIN :)

Yes, no other options so the few things that hold their value start becoming way overpriced. The same thing appears to occur in the used vehicle market.

Are new vehicles available to be purchased right now? Or dealers are claiming "no inventory" or raising prices above the msrp I see many used pickups listed higher than the sticker cost of a new ones.

That happens when inventory is low or sketchy. A couple years ago there was a Toyota Corolla shortage - people were selling used cars for more than a 0km because dealers were taking 2 to 3 months to actually get the car to you. So to avoid the wait, people would buy used/basically new cars on the market. The market right now is crazy because a lot of makers can't get their cars to the lot combined with the fact that some models that were on the edge of being in the 'luxury' market are being hit with impuestazo so they've stopped importing/selling them. A car that would normally sell for 250K suddenly jumps into the 350K+ market. I've been visiting a lot of Toyota dealers lately and what they've been doing is selling a more base model + options to turn that car into what more or less a fuller version without getting taxed. And Toyota is actually doing well compared to the others.

One of the things you really have to watch out for here are dealers that say they will get the car to you in a couple weeks or a month and end up dragging that out 2 or 3 months, meanwhile the price goes up but you're stuck because you already put some money down. The price may not get frozen unless the car is in stock and you get the actual car number. Be careful what you arrange.

If you earn more money than you normally spend, real estate is one of the few legal options you have to protect your money from getting eaten by the inflation. Even if you buy the place for 100,000 US$ and sell it for 90,000 US$ after 5 years, it would be a win for you compared to sitting on a bunch of pesos which will lose the majority of its buying power.

This makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!
however to save enough for a house (USD100,000 onward) I'd say you have to make more than decent money!

anybody ever bought a apartment here in a "building under construction". The prices listed in US$ by the builders. Its to be paid in pesos in white or in in blue? Very confusing.

Back