Receiving packages containing drugs...

Shwidelson

Registered
Actually it's just over-the-counter allergy medication, nothing exciting. But does anyone know how best to label the package to ensure it makes it to me through customs without hassle? Do I label it appropriately as non-prescription allergy medication or would that create attention unnecessarily. It's a small package being shipped from US via USPS. FYI, I have year-round allergy attacks. Without a daily pill my life is hell and the one and only concoction that relieves my symptoms does not exist in Argentine. Must have it shipped in. Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

I was told that medical supplies go to customs by the airport. I had a tens pain relief machine mailed to me and had to go all the way there to collect it.
Suggest it's mailed as blister strips in a padded envelope and put something else on the slip like "candy", More likely to get through to you.

Labeling it as candy might work. ;) As long as it's a small package it might get to you just fine. Sometimes the post office does make you go to the office to pick up packages and they open it in front of you... but at that point you might be able to explain your situation.

In any case, are you sure they don't have it in Argentina? I'm not sure which allergy medicine it is, but I've seen Benadryl in the pharmacies here. Other medicines may be available with prescription under a different name. :)

My in laws had a load of homeopathic medicines stopped in customs and they weren't allowed to bring them home. When they complained they looked at the back of the packet and said, 'what's the problem, you can get these ingredients here, just make it yourself'.

Hopefully you'll be lucky, because the sort of people that get jobs in customs are often the sort you don't want to have to reason with.

A friend sent me some multivitamins once and I had to go to Ezeiza to pick them up. They wouldn't give them to me claiming they were drugs. I asked my doctor to write me a prescription for those vitamins and showed it to them in the customs office in Ezeiza and they gave me my package after paying a huge fee. If someone can bring them for you it would be much easier.

I get multiviamins, over the counter medicines and herbal pills (milk thistle) through the regular mail. It is delivered to my house unless it is over 5lbs in which case I have to go to Retiro to the post office there to pick it up. No problems and I have been doing this for over 2 years now. My mom ships them to me and indicates that they are vitamins on the customs form. Never had any problems.

I too have gotten allergy medication (over the counter) in packages sent by USPS. I didn't have any issue picking them up in Retiro and there were no specifications written on, in or about the packages.

Back