Receiving Packages

Wisconsin

Registered
What are the restrictions on goods shipped from the United States to Argentina. My family wants to send a Christmas package, but I don't want to end up paying 1000 dollars just to have it go through customs. Basically, what items can go through customs without duties/taxes? Thanks!

I believe almost anything that appears to be new gets taxes. Except for books. Legally they're not allowed to tax books. That's the only thing I haven't been taxed from all the various shipments I've received.

Expecting anything to arrive by parcels without incredible cost and hassle at Customs is pure foolishness. Search the site for the horror stoires. You have been warned.

Yeah, you can pretty much expect any package you receive here to be held up and subject to ridiculous spurious charges. You will also probably have to go somewhere out of the way like Ezeiza or customs to pick it up. If you like the simple life, I would tell your family to save up the presents until you go home next time!

My family has sent me a number of packages with small things from the states and I've never had to pay any taxes/customs. They don't send any electronics, obviously... However, they have sent food items, makeup, magazines, clothes, and other assorted small surprises. The only thing is that you should sent it US mail and you will have to pick it up at Retiro. They'll send a little paper to your house telling you it is there. It is a bit of a hassle, but I've heard that if you send it via Fedex or UPS, you will have to travel to Ezeiza to pick it up...

I've picked up packages twice now and didn't pay a dime for them (7 boxes in total). There were clothes, some books, candy and some goofy Christmas gifts. When they asked us what it was, we just told them that it was presents and they didn't give it a second thought. However, it may have helped that my wife was pregnant last time and they didn't want to keep her waiting.

i'll join the chorus and say I've been to Retiro a few times and have never been charged a dime. Not even the 5 or 6 pesos or whatever processing fee I was supposed to pay according to the aviso they left in my mailbox. Anyways, here's a tip, just in case: first time I went, I got there late, around closing time. The place is always packed and you've got like 50 or more people waiting to get their packages. All taxes, we were told, were charged through Banco Nacion. Except the bank (which has an office there) closes at 6pm. By the time they called me, the bank was closed and they were just handing packages to everyone and were in a very obvious hurry to finish work and just go home.
Might be better if you also get yourself there at the last possible minute :)

Bring a book and toilet paper since you'll be waiting for hours and the bathroom is not stocked up for the amount of people there. I've heard it's best to go right before closing when there's a soccer game that day. Everyone rushes like crazy to finish and go home and watch the game on T.V.

Make sure it is sent by USPS with a basic tracking service (usually comes with a number like AB1234567US) -> If sent "unregistered", expect a "loss" ratio of about 70% (not kidding).

If it's registered -> 100% (or almost) delivery rate.

If you live in outcentered "barrios" (like Nunez for instance), chances are higher the package won't get stopped at CPI in Retiro.

To gain time (and lower the risks of paying taxes) and if you need to go to the CPI in Retiro, arrive there 5 minutes before closing time (used to be 5pm?) --> Reason is (Universal Law in any Public Administration worldwide) = the guys work a lot faster once it's time to go home ;)

Back