Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

Intrepid Tanguera said:
I am with GSI16386 on this one, Braytrain. I just moved here from Orlando after living there for 18 years and have never witnessed that much violence. Perhaps you should find some new friends and places to hang out at.

Perhaps I have...in Capital Federal, Argentina. And I have not witnessed in all my time, recent or previously, in Argentina, any kind of violent behavior, provoked or unprovoked, as I have in Orlando, or even SEATTLE: Land of the ultra maricones.

Raymond said:
You really are precious Trev!
I can imagine you never leaving your apartment or interacting with locals due to your irrational and hysterical fears of crime here . Australia your beloved and lucky country has had more random massacres of innocents going about their day shopping, driving , and walking . To refresh your memoru think Hoddle Street , Queen Street, Port Arthur , Ivan Milat and many many more .

Ugh I hate this type of argument: controlled immigration = racism, crime conscious = hysterical. You should be a politician..great whitewashing skills!:p

braytrain said:
Okay. I admit, you did not deserve the degree of a$$-O I was being towards you, in that second to last paragraph under the quote of what you said. However, the last paragraph, about the ¨crackhead,¨ was not towards you or anyone really. It was a more of an hypothetical inquiry of a reversed situation where I would act towards Buenos Aires how you guys acted towards what I said. It will make sense if you read it again, slowly.

You, my not so friend, is what´s wrong with BAExpats, and most of the world actually...with the likes of you being allowed to be born and go anywhere and say anything, with your complete lack of intelligence or ability to think logically. I am not a local, I am an expat, who is more local than other expats. Just because I don´t breathe irrationality all over the site, and I speak the truth rather than what these fed-up expats want to hear and moan about, doesn´t mean I´m not genuine.

The problem is that all these - supposedly mature - older people, want to come and provoke me for no reason other than the fact that I said something they don´t like. If you have a problem with me, PM me, simple as that. There is no reason to make me have to respond to you in public.

You speak the truth ! Too many people here are denialists to the realities of their home countries .

braytrain said:
I am not a local, I am an expat, who is more local than other expats. Just because I don´t breathe irrationality all over the site, and I speak the truth rather than what these fed-up expats want to hear and moan about, doesn´t mean I´m not genuine.

So what exactly is it that makes you "more local" than other expats?

Let's see - I live in pvca, in a house we own, started coming here in the early 2000s, been living here full-time for 5 years, I spend 90% of my time with porteños, I ran a successful and profitable company here (all en blanco even), I had 15+ employees here - all local, I am spending my life with a local, I have financial commitments here and I could go on and on and on. Do I have enough "local" roots and credibility?:rolleyes:

What exactly is the irrationality? People talking about the crime they and their loved ones have experienced? Complaining about the lack of police enforcement? Wishing it was a better and safer place to live?

Car thieves have taken to burning cars outside of our walled property. I have called the police EVERY SINGLE TIME I see a car burning. Do you know what they do? Nothing. They don't even come. In one incident, the thieves were there while I was on the phone with the police. They still didn't come.

This used to happen about once a year. Now it happens probably every month.

My neighbors houses have been broken into. My SO and BF had their trucks stolen in Capital Federal - on Libertador in Belgrano. My M-I-L's entire office building was robbed a few months ago by an inside job. I've had friends held up at knifepoint. My friend was in a restaurant recently in Palermo when a guy walked in and held up all the patrons. (Police came long afterwards and the only thing they did was tell the restaurant owner to start locking the door). And I could go on and on.

Yes, I'm concerned. Do you know why? Because I live here.

Again - I will say it. I don't care what life is like in Chicago or NY or London or Rio. I don't live there (but I do travel to all those places on the regular and they seem pretty damn safe to me;)) But it's irrelevant. The issue is whether crime is increasing or decreasing here.

Some feel it is all great and safe. Power to you. But don't say that those of us who have DIRECT experiences that contradict that are being hysterical or don't know of what we speak.

Raymond said:
You really are precious Trev!
I can imagine you never leaving your apartment or interacting with locals due to your irrational and hysterical fears of crime here . Australia your beloved and lucky country has had more random massacres of innocents going about their day shopping, driving , and walking . To refresh your memoru think Hoddle Street , Queen Street, Port Arthur , Ivan Milat and many many more .

Dont interact with the locals - my girlfriend is Argentinian and all my mates (bar 2) are locals. Plus all my colleagues at work etc etc. Its all these people and their stories which make me understand that the country isnt safe and getting worse.

Anyhoo, I have said it before it doesnt stop me living, still happily go out, go to the cancha every fortnight with my mates, but I am 26 and dont have kids to worry about. However, when my girlfriend comes home crying after having a knife put to her in broad daylight outside a busy restaurant in Palermo, that kind of sh*t doesnt make me feel too good.

However, all the normal stuff you get accustomed to - being mindful when you go in and out of your apt, having to clutch on to your bags wherever you go, being worried every time you pull out your phone in public, careful who you open the door to and all that stuff I dont enjoy.

But as well, the thing which worries me is the fact you cant trust the cops when something happens. Hence why no one reports it.

Anyhoo, BA (& rest of Argentina) isnt safe, everyone knows it. Ray, you can give it a rest mate - I love a lot of things here which is why I am still here, there is plenty to love about this city and country, la inseguridad just isnt one of them.

citygirl said:

Let's see - I live in pvca, in a house we own, started coming here in the early 2000s, been living here full-time for 5 years, I spend 90% of my time with porteños, I ran a successful and profitable company here (all en blanco even), I had 15+ employees here - all local, I am spending my life with a local, I have financial commitments here and I could go on and on and on. Do I have enough "local" roots and credibility?:rolleyes:

What exactly is the irrationality? People talking about the crime they and their loved ones have experienced? Complaining about the lack of police enforcement? Wishing it was a better and safer place to live?

Car thieves have taken to burning cars outside of our walled property. I have called the police EVERY SINGLE TIME I see a car burning. Do you know what they do? Nothing. They don't even come. In one incident, the thieves were there while I was on the phone with the police. They still didn't come.

My neighbors houses have been broken into. My SO and BF had their trucks stolen in Capital Federal - on Libertador in Belgrano. My M-I-L's entire office building was robbed a few months ago by an inside job. I've had friends held up at knifepoint. My friend was in a restaurant recently in Palermo when a guy walked in and held up all the patrons. (Police came long afterwards and the only thing they did was tell the restaurant owner to start locking the door). And I could go on and on.

Again - I will say it. I don't care what life is like in Chicago or NY or London or Rio. I don't live there (but I do travel to all those places on the regular and they seem pretty damn safe to me;)) But it's irrelevant. The issue is whether crime is increasing or decreasing here.

Some feel it is all great and safe. Power to you. But don't say that those of us who have DIRECT experiences that contradict that are being hysterical or don't know of what we speak.

Great post, as always citygirl. "More local", Braytrain...is that how you comfort yourself?

citygirl said:

Hey Citygirl,

So actually, what I was writing wasn´t in response to you, and I apologize that if the way I wrote it sounded as if that were the case. I actually respect how and what you communicate on these boards.

What constitutes me being ¨more local¨ than other expats, is the fact that I am, more or less, Argentine. My whole family, minus myself and my brother, is Argentine. My grandmother is a 91 year old lady from Saenz Peña, Chaco, and I grew up drinking mate, speaking Spanish, and eating milanesas and polenta....in the USA. I was raised a Boca Juniors fan and I´ve been going nuts everytime the albiceleste play since I can remember. If you don´t think that this makes me ¨more local¨ than you or others, then that is your opinion. However, I use this to describe the fact that I am a 1st generation Argentine American (USA), and that sometimes what I say should be judged considering this, and not making assumptions that I am either A) Local, or B) Expat. My response was to those who quoted me directly, not to you Citygirl.

And I am not criticizing those who say Buenos Aires is dangerous. That would be stupid, because Buenos Aires IS dangerous. I am just giving my opinion about how people sometimes glorify the states as some sort of utopia in comparison to the Argentine dystopia.

braytrain said:
Hey Citygirl,

So actually, what I was writing wasn´t in response to you, and I apologize that if the way I wrote it sounded as if that were the case. I actually respect how and what you communicate on these boards.

What constitutes me being ¨more local¨ than other expats, is the fact that I am, more or less, Argentine. My whole family, minus myself and my brother, is Argentine. My grandmother is a 91 year old lady from Saenz Peña, Chaco, and I grew up drinking mate, speaking Spanish, and eating milanesas and polenta....in the USA. I was raised a Boca Juniors fan and I´ve been going nuts everytime the albiceleste play since I can remember. If you don´t think that this makes me ¨more local¨ than you or others, then that is your opinion. However, I use this to describe the fact that I am a 1st generation Argentine American (USA), and that sometimes what I say should be judged considering this, and not making assumptions that I am either A) Local, or B) Expat. My response was to those who quoted me directly, not to you Citygirl.

And I am not criticizing those who say Buenos Aires is dangerous. That would be stupid, because Buenos Aires IS dangerous. I am just giving my opinion about how people sometimes glorify the states as some sort of utopia in comparison to the Argentine dystopia.

But braytrain, you got on the front foot in this thread and immediately started talking about the states (bringing up Orlando). The thread was more or less about a couple of crimes in Recoleta, how we could protect ourselves, crime increasing etc etc.

Its like the threads with politics, when something negative is posted about Argentina / BA, some feel the need to immediately strike up the comparison that "well in the states its worse..."...

I can see how it is relevant, but dont agree the threads always have to lead to this battle. Expats are here for a reason, and I am pretty sure most care about Argentina and for the well being of the country and its people. It shouldnt be about trying to bring down peoples home countries´ here to try and make Argentinas problems appear less relevant.

earlyretirement said:
I still get a kick out of the people that STILL try claiming that Buenos Aires is as safe as any large city in the USA.

This is what I read directly before writing what I wrote. And yes, I may have gotten off topic, but so did other people, including those who chose to argue with me or disrespect me, like you for example. ¨is this how you comfort yourself.¨

I just don´t get why people jump on the Braytrain...train. This isn´t the first thread people take offense at random stuff I say or choose to attack me. Citygirl out of nowhere took offense at the ¨more local¨thing. I mean, I wasn´t trying to insult anyone, it´s just something that I feel. I shouldn´t have to explain myself or fight people for every little thing.

Back