Renting Apartments In Pesos

The word ''ignorance'' is often used in context of those unfortunates who behave inappropriately because they know no better... What's to be forgiven? Ignored in future - sufficient.

Make sure the place offered in Clarin is a " temporary furnished rental" on a 6 month lease and does not require a Garantia. I Think you don't have Garantia? ( A property owner in B.A. to cosign the contract with you in case you don't pay). Well good luck.

Hard to deal with an owner who doesn'tt speak English !

I speak okay Spanish or Castellano - although I have struggled a little on the telephone with some of the local dialect in Buenos Aires - my ''ear'' after the nearly three months is getting there...when we come back from Uruguay I will get right to it and thank all of you for your advice.

Argenprop is probably the best place to look for short-term rentals in pesos. Don't forget to check whether a landlord would be willing to accept you without a garantia (some may require a certain amount of rent up-front). I agree that in the current climate, it would be silly to sign a lease in dollars but perhaps you could agree on an exchange rate in pesos before hand (I doubt a landlord would be happy with the official rate, but maybe they'd agree to somewhere in between the official and the blue) and get it written into a contract.

Why can't you just pay the landlord dollars ? The building expense and cost to keep an apartment goes up 30%-50%
each year, if you pay peso, to be fair to landlord, the rent has to go up too. My friend is renting a restaurant building,
and he is paying pesos, the landlord renews the lease contract every 3 months, and he has been there for 6 years.
What a hassle! Everything is relative stable to dollars, it makes sense to use dollars. Of course, I feel sorry for those
who do not have dollars, but home owners are screwed too for locking in a long term lease. Pretty soon, the owner is
providing free housing. It's difficult in this country now. Each time when I step in the taxi at EZE, I am shocked by
the new price, shocked. Now I just pay my long term taxi guy U$40, he does not complain.

Well, if you're living here, even as a tourist, you can't get dollars so it's not exactly fair to expect the renter to be able to pay in dollars. It's not like the owner is unaware of the challenges of finding dollars ;)

Great if the owner/renter both have bank accounts overseas and agree to payment in dollars - whatever works - but if payments are being paid here, it's hardly reasonable to expect a longer term renter to pay in dollars.

That being said - negotiation is everything as is keeping a good line of communication. Back when I rented, owner and I agreed to a base price in dollars, to be paid at official rate in pesos (this was before the blue market exploded). Most months I paid from my US account to her US account so we both avoided any hassle but every few months, she would ask for the rent in pesos so she could pay bills.

When i rent my apartment out, we try to do the overseas bank to bank, which obviously is a win win situation, but if thats not available, we always meet in the middle of official and black, its the only way to go to be fair!
any who good luck Canadababe! i too am living here for love and very frequently miss good ol Canada!

Here is the thing.

It does not matter what is right and wrong on paper. Your lawyer can say that you are legally correct by paying in peso at the official rate, but the landlord won't care. You can sign a contract that says you pay in pesos, and in two months, the owner could be demanding dollars.

Paper doesn't matter in BA, well, except for dollars...

Update:

Via my current property agent, I have found a person in Buenos Aires (expat) who specializes in finding long term rental apartments from six months to two years at peso rates for expats.

You must provide a passport and sign an agreement with a three month bond subject to contract. The apartments are basic and sparsely furnished..

Contact me by private email if you want further details. He will not deal with other agents and does not want his name or details published to any website and states he has more than enough business!!!!!

Again, thank you for your help, this forum is a great informational source.

Hi Canadababe. My boyfriend and I have just moved to Buenos Aires and we are currently renting an apartment in US dollars. It's only short term until November. We would like to rent somewhere in pesos as this is the currency we are earning in. I would be interested in getting in touch with your property agent to help us find an apartment with bit of outside space for 6 months. Many thanks in advance - reading your post above has been helpful! Danielle

Back